Chin Implant Possible Without Getting Rid of Chin Dimple?

I have a nice dimple in my chin which is fairly noticeable. However, because I have a recessed chin, I am considering getting a chin implant to improve my profile. But in the process, I do not want to lose the dimple in my chin. So my question is: is it possible to avoid losing your cleft chin when you get an implant?

Maintaining the dimple with chin implants

+2

The central dimple is created because of the soft tissue of the chin pad, and not because of the underlying bone. The fibrofatty tissue that creates the central chin pad is more fibrous and condensed in the midline, which creates the central depression or dimple.

Placing a chin implant in the plane deep to this tissue is the norm, described as the sub periosteal pocket. So logically, you can see that it should not have a major influence on the depth of the dimple. I will add, however, that extra volume in this deep plane will make is subtly less evident, similar to blowing up a partially inflated balloon and noticing the outer skin of the balloon is more smooth. This should be a very small change.

The shape of the implant can be selected (and later shaped depending on the type of implant) to maintain the dimple, or the more square contour of the masculine jaw. My preference is for an external approach from an incision hidden under the chin, and a silastic implant.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant without losing dimples

+2

A chin dimple is nothing more than the attachment of that area of the skin to deeper underlying structures, even as deep as the jaw itself.

A chin implant can be placed either through the mouth OR through the crease on the underside of the chin. Even if it is placed through the underside of the chin, IF the dimple attachment is to the area of the chin where the implant needs to sit, the surgery will result in some smoothing of the ORIGINAL dimple. However, if you convey your wishes to your Plastic surgeon, he / she could recreate the dimple with a few well placed stitches from under the skin to the implant giving you a deeper NEW dimple.

Dr. P. Aldea

Implant Preserving Chin Dimple Is Possible

+1

As the other surgeons have pointed out, it is most certainly possible to place a chin implant without affecting a dimple. You will notice a change immediatly after surgery because of swelling but as this resolves there should not be any change to your dimple.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin dimple will be maintained after chin implant surgery

+1

The chin implant operation itself will not affect the dimple that is present on the chin because the implant is placed over the bone and is not in the skin or subdermal area where the actual dimple or cleft is located. The patient should be able to keep their dimple or cleft after an implant surgery.

Chin dimple

+1

If you use a chin implant to augment the chin then you WILL lose some or all of the dimple.

The only way to keep your dimple is to do an advancement osteotomy. Where the bone of the chin is cut the advanced  and the bone is secured with plates and screws

Chin implants (enlargement or augmentatio) and chin dimples

+1

In most instances this the dimple is created by the attachments of the skin to the underlying muscle/bone. These commonly originate from the outer covering of the bone called the periosteum. Most implants are placed under the periosteum. Depending on the technique used for chin enlargement, you have specified an implant, these attachments may be disrupted. The can either be recreated or the implant can be shaped to minimize the effect on the dimple.. Most implants are placed under the outer covering of the bone (periosteum).

Chin implant without affecting the cleft can be done

+1

Chin implant without affecting the cleft can certainly be done especially if you ask your surgeon about placing an anatomical chin implant that sits directly on the bone. While there may be some initial swelling it should not alter your naturally occurring cleft especially if they use an external approach below the chin rather than going through the mouth. If you get too large of an implant it can also distort the cleft. In any case, I would make sure that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon