Chia Seeds After Rhinoplasty

I had open rhinoplasty 21 days ago. I am definitely still in the healing stages: my nose is still a bit stuffy; tip is numb; columella is a bit sore; swelling is still present. My question is would it be okay to resume Chia seeds as part of my diet? I usually drink 2 tablespoons in water per day, but I stopped 2 weeks before my surgery as some sources said Chia seeds are a blood thinner. Any advice is appreciated! -Chia seed lover

Rhinoplasty

+1

It is best to avoid any supplements until the physician who performed your surgery says that you have healed adequately and can resume taking the supplement

Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chia seeds

+1

There should be no problem with this but you can always check with your surgeon just to be sure - enjoy!

Web reference: http://www.seattlerhinoplasty.com/html/index.php

Chia seeds after rhinoplasty OK.

+1

Chia seeds (salvia hispanica) are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, and are a good source of protein, fiber, and fat--mostly alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)--as well as several minerals. They do not have any specific blood-thinning properties, but could be potentially "contaminated" with other edible herbs that could contain unknown quantities of blood thinners (such as willow bark). That is why most surgeons advise that you discontinue aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, etc.), naprosyn (Aleve), Vitamin E and/or fish oils (these can compete for absorption of Vitamin K, needed for proper blood clotting), and herbals. You were wise to discontinue anything of potential concern 2 weeks pre-op; thank you for asking now as well!

That being said, pure chia seeds are almost certainly fine at three weeks post-op, particularly if you partake conservatively!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/html/nose-surgery.html

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon