Cheek Implants Infected - Should They be Removed?

my cheek implant was infected 3 days ago...i had a fever, but now i dont have a fever anymore. my cheek really blew up the second day, but it has gone down quite a bit now... im on antibiotics.

Dont infected implants have to get removed eventually anyways? am i just wasting my money buying antibiotics by delaying the inevitable?

Infected cheek implants

+1

Any artificial substance that gets infected needs to be removed unless the infection can be contained early. Removal of cheek implant is not as easy as placing them in . The determining factor is the type (silicone vs medpor) Also the implants tend to erode into the cheekbones and cause asymmetry. There will be sagging but some of that may contract due to your age and hopefully good skin quality.

Cheek implants and infection

+1

If you had cheek implants placed and developed swelling and fever, this may well have been an infection and antibiotics should be the first course of action.  If the swelling is going down and the fever has subsided, I would suggest you complete your antibiotic course.  You may not have to remove the implants.  If the fever and swelling return then removal probably would be the best option.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Infected cheek implants

+1

A course of antibiotics and conservative therapy is always the first approach to an infected implant.  Depending on the amount of infection, it potentially can clear with just the antibiotics.  Because implants are avascular, there could be persistent seeding of bacterial cells despite initial successful control of on infection with antibiotics.  If the infection is recurrent or recalcitrant, then removal of the implant is necessary.

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal Of Infected Cheek Implants

+1

Removal may be necessary, but drainage with antibiotic therapy may solve your problem. If this is successful, it certainly will be easier than removal followed by another operation to replace the implants. I agree with your surgeon's approach to treat this complication.

You may save your cheek implants

+1

Not all infected cheek implants are lost.   Antibiotics, drainage and irrigation can save some of them.   Hang in there and hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones.

Good Luck!   Dr Grant Stevens      

Grant Stevens, MD

Infected cheek implant.

+1
Antibiotics and drainage with a rubber drain may lead to healing without removal of the implant. I would try that first.

Cheek implants - infected

+1

In general an infected implant will likely end up needing to be removed.  However, it's reasonable for you to get antibiotics to try to eradicate the infection.  I would keep in close contact with your plastic surgeon and visit him/her regularly.  I'm sure he/she is diligently monitoring your implant and your infection.  If you have any questions, I'm sure he/she would be happy to take the time to answer them.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Remove chronically infected cheek implants

+1

If the implants were made of silicone rubber (silastic) and they were recently done and the infection is subsiding with antibiotics, you have a good chance of not needing removal. If they continue to be a problem, removal is relatively simple. Continue to see your surgeon.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

First you must be sure they are infected. Swelling, pain and  reddness, fever, purulent discharge from the incision site are all signs of infection and the implant must be removed. Can be replaced approximately 3-6 months later.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

For a text book answer it would be favoring removal. I also recommend removal, but you might be oner of the few who when treated with antibiotics can retain the cheek implants. Discuss with your surgeon.