Cheek Implants - Sutured or Screwed?

I want to get cheek implants, just small ones that will add some slight definition but not make me appear like another person. One plastic surgeon (who I have gone to before and really liked his work) places the cheek implant in and sutures it. However, another surgeon that I contacted actually screws his in. My main concern is that the implant will shift. Why do some surgeons choose sutures and others screws? Is one better that the other? Pros/ cons of each. Thanks

Placement of Cheek Implants

+1

The only reason to use screws/or sutures is if the implants look like they mobile in the pocket after the sugeon inserts them. Usually a small enough pocket is made so that the implants do not need to be secured. Implantech currently has a silastic implant with a "gripping" internal surface that also prevents slippage.

Web reference: http://www.sandiegoface.com/face_implants.asp

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Implants, Cheek Augmentation, Cheek Enhancement

+1

I have been performing Cheek Implant surgery for over 20 years here in Beverly Hills and do not use either screws nor sutures to hold the Cheek Implants in position. If you use soft silastic Cheek Implants, the screws would depress the Cheek Implant creating a dimple. Because the Cheek Implant could still rotate around a single screw point of fixation like a pin wheel, two screws and fixation points would be required. That means two dimples. Because the Cheek Implants are placed directly on top of the bone, there's nothing to suture the implant to unless the plastic and cosmetic surgeon wants to try and sew the lower edge of the Cheek Implant to the internal soft tissues below the cheek. When I do Cheek Augmentation and Enhancement with Cheek Implants, I meticulously close all the tissue layers through which the Cheek Implant is placed. This leaves no room for the Cheek Implant to move. I require all Cheek Implant, Chin Implant and Rhinoplasty patients to sleep on U shaped pillows for one month post surgery to avoid putting pressure on the implants or the nose. I also instruct all implant patients not to touch or manipulate the implants for one month. After a month the implants are secure and patients can resume normal activity.

Screwed or sutured?

+1

Both techniques work however I prefer to use a pullout suture just to hold the implant in the pocket for the first few days.  After that period I feel the implant will stay put in the pocket if the pocket is created properly.  Good luck.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants with screws or sutures.

+1

I think most surgeons use sutures and not screws. If the pocket for the implant is made exactly the implant will not move and doesn't require screws.