Cheek Implant Swelling

I had cheek implant surgery performed 2/15/11. From the very beginning the left side was more swollen than the right. By the second week the right side had little swelling, but the left side started to increase swelling. If I pushed on it I could feel a liquid moving around. When I went back to the PS he said it's a hematoma. I am taking another antibiotic and prednisone now. Also the right side, now that the swelling has gone down, looks as if the implant is below the orbital bone?

Continue Following Up with Your Surgeon

+1

You should continue following up with your plastic and cosmetic surgeon, that did your cheek implant surgery, during your post op healing phase.  Hematomas after cheek implants are rare but bleeding can occur after any surgery.  Cheek implants are designed to be placed on the cheek bone beginning at 4 mm's below the inferior orbital rim (lower eye socket).

Cheek implant swelling

+1
Swelling after surgery is common and with cheek implants asymmetry is not abnormal in the beginning. You need to see your surgeon and discuss your concerns. With cheek implants it also depends on the method of insertion it is not uncommon to possibly have a higher risk of infection if inserted through the mouth versus a subscillary insertion. Follow your surgeons directions and hopefully you will be on the road to recovery soon. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Cheek Implant Surgery Takes Three Months To Judge Shape And Symmetry

+1

The uniqueness of cheek implant surgery is that there are two sides. Inevitably, they never initially have the same amount of swelling or look the same. The differences in your cheek swelling is very commonly seen. Given that you are only less than 3 weeks after surgery, it is too early to yet judge the final outcome of the surgery no matter what differences may exist at this point. I wouldn't pass final judgment on shape or symmetry of your cheek implants until at least 6 weeks, and preferably, three months after their initial placement.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Swelling after cheek implant.

+1
It is too soon to judge symmetry and placement of the implant. Continue following up with your surgeon.

Swelling after cheek implant

+1

Swelling after any surgical procedure is normal. What is abnormal excessive and persistent swelling. One, may consider seroma formation as well which need to be aspirated. Only your surgeon know best at this point and I would follow up.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon