Is It Appropriate to Charge Patient's Credit Card Before Procedure?

Why did the doctor charge my credit card before I even had my procedure?

Pre-pay before surgery

+1
The idea of pre-paying before cosmetic surgery is a norm all across the country. In order to schedule surgery, there has been a lot of investment in time on everyones part. Further, outpatient surgical centers also ask for payment in advance. If one decides to not show up or provide sufficient notice then both time and money is wasted for everyone involved.

Pre payment for plastic, cosmetic or aesthetic surgery.

+1

Taking payment in full prior to an elective cosmetic procedure is a usual and customary practice in plastic surgery. Typically, surgeons will even request payment several weeks in advance to determine who is serious about scheduling.

Is it normal to have to pay before my procedure?

+1

Hi there-

It is customary, and absolutely appropriate for your provider to have charged you before the procedure. Unfortunately there have been many problems over the years that people have been seeking cosmetic improvement that necessitated this approach, but I can assure you the same would have been asked of you in my office or that of any other provider.

Armando Soto, MD

Cosmetic surgery practices

+1

It is a common practice for patients to prepay for their cosmetic surgery. If you are using a credit card to pay for your surgery, it is appropriate to prepay before surgery. However, this practice should be made clear as to what you are paying for in terms of procedures, follow-up, touch-ups.etc, and what cancellation or refund policy it includes.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Cosmetic surgery is fully paid before the surgery

+1

The fees for all cosmetic surgery are customarily paid in full before the surgery is performed.  Credit cards, checks etc are all acceptable forms of payment but are in the bank preop.  That is to prevent a patient from refusing to pay after, a practice which years ago necessitated this national policy.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS