What Caused the Left Sub-muscular Implant to Turn Black and What Caused the Infection? (photo)

Had bilateral breast augmentation on May 14. Left side started out with a hematoma, which lead to a seroma, which lead to the sutures being busted open exposing what felt and appeared as a black textured implant. sentria is the manufactures name 505 cc high profile sub muscular. Had implants removed on Wed June 5th. How did this infection occur, why was the implant black? How do I add pictures?

Exposure of implant requiring implant removal

+2

There is no question that you had multiple problems with your implant.  Once the implant becomes exposed there is no choice but to remove the implant, allow it to heal and soften up and then perform a re-augmentation.  The hematoma and seroma were certainly factors that lead up to exposure and infection of the implant.  On you photo the implant appears to be dark blue or black and this usually due to an optical change.  I would imagine that when the implant was removed it was not black on the inside.  You did not mention if these were saline or gel implants.  The only other way the implant could be dark would be if the surgeon placed betadine in the saline that was injected into the implant.  If you have questions he would be your best source for information.  

Causes of Complications after Breast Augmentation Surgery?

+2

I am sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced after breast augmentation surgery. As you can imagine, given the complexity of your situation, online consultants will not be able to do much besides speculate and/or provide you with general responses.

Generally speaking, I have found that once a patient develops a complication such as hematoma,  additional negative sequela ( such as seroma, infection,  need for removal of breast implants, encapsulation…) rates increased. This is why most plastic surgeons will tell you that prevention of the initial complication is critical. Sometimes, however despite best surgeon and patient efforts,  complications do arise;  how the surgeon and patient work together to “fix” the problem becomes critically important.

At this point, if you have specific concerns about your plastic surgeon's  capabilities, your only good option is to seek second opinion consultation with reputable, well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in your area. Online consultants, will not be able to provide you with specific/precise enough answers to questions or advice.

Best wishes;  hopefully if you decide to have re augmentation done your course will be much smoother.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_revisionarybreastsurgery.htm

Breast implant exposure

+1

I would return to your plastic surgeon ASAP to address this problem.  The implant appears black because there is no light in the breast pocket.

Web reference: http://www.baltimoreplasticsurgery.com/Procedures_BreastAugmentation_865362.aspx

What Caused the Left Sub-muscular Implant to Turn Black and What Caused the Infection?

+1

Sorry for your issues after augmentation. These are post operative complications that do occur. The reasons are impossible to determine. The "black: appearance is an optical effect of light on an tec=xtured implant in tissue, nothing else. Allow 3 months before having re insertion. 

Infection can happen post seroma or hematoma.

+1

Sorry about your complications post augmentation. This very rare but does happen. Infection can happen after seroma or hematoma formation. Your surgeon is doing the right things and you will be fine. 

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Implant infection after augmentation

+1

Only your surgeon who knows the correct sequence of events and has examined you can say just how the infection developed in the breast after augmentation. The implant itself is not black, though it gives the appearance of it as the light is cast on it while in the breast pocket.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Hematoma after breast augmentation requires urgent drainage.

+1

It looks as though the breast implant has necessitated through the incision as a result of a hematoma. I cannot comment on infection. The dark color is imparted on the implant by hemoglobin in the red blood cells. Hematomas require immediate surgical drainage when there recognized after breast augmentation.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,13-atlanta-breast-augmentation.htm

What Caused the Infection?

+1

Beth--I am sorry to hear about your post op course after your breast surgery. 

These questions would best be asked of your surgeon who knows the sequence of events and has followed your course. There is just not enough info here--for example, I don't know if something was done about the hematoma and seroma, and if the implants were removed at the time the incision opened up or at a later time.

Hematoma, seroma and reoperation are all risk factors for wound and implant infection. All the best.