Cartilage on the Tip of my Nose is Tingly. It Was Tingly When I First Got My Nose Job Also. Reasons?

I'm not sure why it does this. It did this before my first procedure (I haven't had a second yet, but I am in a month). I don't think it has to do with swelling because I will have days where there is no swelling at all and then days when I do. Today I don't & the inside of my tip is tingling & it's uncomfortable. Do you guys know what could be causing this? Should I bring this to the attention of my surgeon in a month? I brought it up before my first rhinoplasty but he kind of brushed it off.

Tingly tip after rhinoplasty

+2

There are a lot of tiny nerves in your nasal tip.  Surgery causes swelling and even after the swelling abates there is scar tissue.  The tiny nerves can get caught in scar tissue and this is what leads to the tingly feeling.  It is unlikely that more surgery will affect this (except to perhaps make it a little worse).  The best plan to cope with this is to continually stimulate the tingly part to train it so it can recognize what is normal sensation.  This technique is called "systematic desensitization." 

Tip tingling

+2

Usually, tingling sensations have some neurologic basis to them. It is not unusual to have tingling after rhinoplasty as small sensory nerves grow back and innervate the skin.  Not sure why you had this sensation even prior to your first surgery though.  I don't think it is anything to be really concerned about, but mention this to your doctor in any case.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Tingling tip of nose?

+2

Without a formal exam, it is difficult to know. More of a history is important as well.  Tingling may represent sensory issues or infection to name a few.

Brushed Off

+1

I am sure that your surgeon did not intend to "brush you off."  Therefore, it is imperative that you obtain a valid reason for your "tingling tip" by the doctor who is overseeing your postoperative care.  Please call your physician!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon