Out of Town Rhinoplasty: How Many Follow-up Appointments?

I am considering getting a rhinoplasty in August from a doctor that is located 2.5 hours away. I am also starting a teaching job at the end of August, so I will be able to take little to no time off for follow up appointments. My question is how many follow-up appointments are necessary after a rhinoplasty, and at what frequency? Is it possible to consult over video chat like skype? How do you handle out of town patients?

Follow Up Appointments After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Every surgery requires a given number of follow-up appointments.

Usually, I assign on an average of 4-5 appointments per patients stretching over a 12 months period when they achieve their final results.

The critical appointments are within the first month post-op.

I recommend that you communicate with your surgeon to make sure that the post-op care and examination are to be well covered.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

+1

The amount of post Rhinoplasty visits varies dramatically from patient to patient and between Rhinoplasty Surgeons.  I perform Rhinoplasty on many out of state and country patients.  This does require some additional patient education post Rhinoplasty so they understand how to perform manual lymphatic drainage on their nose beginning at 1 month following the surgery.  You'd have to discuss this with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon for specific recommendations from him/her.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Out of Town Rhinoplasty

+1

When a patient comes from some distance, it is important that we are on the same page in terms of the post-op course and followup.  The normal schedule for followups is 1 week, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months.  Although the vast majority of rhinoplasties go well and post op visits are mostly reassurance, occasionally some intervention is necessary to obtain the best result.  If you do elect to proceed, make sure that you are willing to make the drive if a problem occurs.  There is nothing more frustrating than a difficult problem that could have been corrected easily if addressed early.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Follow-up

+1

Frequent follow-up visits are always best, but SKYPE works well for some physicians and patients to enhance quality patient care in Cosmetic Surgery.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty post-op

+1

In my office, I see patients a week later to remove the splint and stitches, If I have used packing ( which is not often) I will take it out within a few days after surgery.  Then I like to see patients at week 3, 6, 12, etc..

Follow up after rhinoplasty

+1

I usually see my post-operative rhinoplasty patients on day 6, at which time the cast and sutures are removed and the nose is suctioned. After that, I see them 3-4 weeks later, then 3 months later, and then 6 months later. And, of course, any time in the interim if there is a question or an emergency.  So, it should not be that much of a hussle for you to keep your appointments with an out of town doctor. Getting a good surgeon is definitely worth the extra commute.

Follow-up Appointments for out of town rhinoplasty patients

+1

My staff and I care for a number of out of town patients. Follow up needs to be carefully planned and should be appropriate for the complexity of the case. We typically see a patient 2 - 3 times during the first week, and request that they remain in the area for  7 -10 days. We generally check the patients at 1 month, 3 month, and 6 month postoperative marks. For patients that travel frequently to our area, we prefer to do so in person but can do so remotely as well.

"Out of Town Rhinoplasty follow-up"

+1

Rhinoplasty is a procedure which does not require frequent follow-ups.  Once you have had the surgery, you would be seen at around a week postoperatively for removal of splints.  You may have a follow up 2-3 months afgter surgery, but the final result is considered to be around one year.  Therefore, follow up at one year would work well as well.  Should you have concerns which need to be addressed in between, and if you are from out of town, you can easily send photos to your surgeon by email.  In fact, even in-town patients take a quick snap shot to show what they may be concerned with.

Followup Appointments after Rhinoplasty for Out of Town Patient

+1

I do rhinoplasty surgery for many patients from other states or out of the country. Most of these individuals leave town 6-7 days after the operation. I have these patients send pictures and also frequently consult with Skype, which I also use for followup.