Capsular Contracture During Beginning Stages of Pregnancy- What Are My Options?

Good Morning, I have had Saline breast implants for 5 years. I have recently found out that I am expecting, 4 weeks.... However, my Right Breast has become extremely hard, painful and slightly deformed. All signs of Capsular Contracture. Is this treatable or removeable while pregnant? What will happen if I dont treat it? Tina

Pregnancy and capsular contracture

+1

Congratulations on your pregnancy!  Treating the capsular contracture more than likely would require surgery, but you wil have to wait until after delivery to have this done.

Capsular contracture during pregnancy

+1

There is a simple solution for now. The saline can be removed with a needle (popping the implant)

This can be done in the office under local.

After you have breast fed and the breasts are stable in size the capsules can be removed and implant exchange performed

Options while pregnant

+1

Few options while pregnant for capsule formation.   Hopefully will stabilize and you can re-evaluate after delivery.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Capsular Contraction during Pregnancy?

+1

Unfortunately,  there is not much that can be done until after you have delivered.  I would not suggest the use of any medications. I would suggest that you follow-up with your plastic surgeon about 3 months after you have stopped breast-feeding. It is very likely that revisionary breast surgery will be necessary. This will be  ideally performed after you have reached a stable weight and have stopped breast-feeding.  

Baced on your description, it is likely that  capsulectomy  surgery will be necessary.   If your breasts undergo further changes during or after pregnancy, these changes may be addressed during the same operation. For example, some patients benefit from exchange of implants and/or breast lifting depending on their situations.

Best wishes for an  otherwise trouble-free  pregnancy and healthy infant.

Capsular contracture during pregnancy

+1

This is a tricky one, I am sorry to hear of your misfortune.

For mild capsular contracture cases medications can be helpful.  It sounds like your case is more advanced.  I am not certain, but I would assume that the medications used for contracture would be contraindicated during pregnancy either way.

From a surgical standpoint, adequate treatment of capsular contracture generally requires capsulectomy and implant replacement.  During pregnancy, it is wise to avoid anesthetics, however. 

I have never seen this specific problem in my office, I will admit.  If it is not bothering you too much I would recommend leaving the implant in until after the delivery.  It is extremely painful, simple removal of both implants with local anesthetic at this time followed by more aggressive treatment after delivery would be a good option.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon