Capsular Contracture Revision and Recovery?

What is the estimated recovery time for breast augmentations revision surgery due to capsular contracture on both sides?

Recovery for breast augmentation revision

+1

Hello

The good news is that the majority of breast augmentation revision surgery have a much shorter and easier recovery than the original augmentation.  Most patients whom I have performed full capsulectomy revisions have described only mild discomfort.  There is a possibility however that your plastic surgeon may choose to use a drain.  This may add a little to the cumbersome component of the recovery.

Dr Repta

Recovery time

+1

To answer this question you'd really need to elaborate about exactly what was being done to treat your capsules.  Sometimes it's appropriate to simply 'score' the front part of the capsue, sometimes the front of the capsule is removed in its entirety, and sometimes the entire capsule is removed.  All of these procedures have their indications and may have different recoveries.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Capsular Contracture

+1

I agree with the other surgeon's description.. capsulotomy  and/or capsulectomy - depending on your physical examination.  The procedure is not difficult, nor is the recovery. The cost will depend on the surgeon / office you choose.

Capsular contracture surgery recovery time

+1

The recovery time from cutting into the capsule to release the contracting forces (capsulotomy) is a weekend.  If the scar tissue is completely removed (capsulectomy),  there is usually 5-6 day recovery period.  Let your Plastic Surgeon decide the best approach for your contracture.  Good luck!

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture Revision and Recovery

+1

The surgery to either open the capsule to enlarge the space (capsulotomy) or remove the entire capsule (capsulectomy) should require a few days post operative recovery before returning to work.  I would like to emphasize that simply scoring the capsule instead of removing it has a high recurrance rate.  The only time that I do not remove the capsule is when it is not contracted, and I am simply enlarging the space for a larger implant.  Additionally, I send a culture of the capsule to see if there is any bacteria that may have caused the capsule in the first place. Be sure to speak to your surgeon regarding things you can do to help to prevent recurrance (Vit E, Accolate, ultrasound, compression).  Good Luck!!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Very short recovery after capsular contracture surgery

+1

Surgical treatment for capsular contracture is capsulotomy, that is cutting the scar tissue( Capsule) all around the implant to allow more space for the implant. Then the breast is much softer. There is minimal discomfort with this procedure and the recovery is very short and you should be able to go back to your normal activity within 2-3 days. 

A. H. Nezami, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon