Is It Normal to Feel a Pinching Sensation After Tummy Tuck and Liposuction?

I had a Tummy Tuck with Liposuction two months ago and I am now feeling a pinching sensation only on my left side. It feels like a needle being stuck on me, and it happens every so often, especially when I'm outside. My surgeon said it might be the veins reattaching themselves, but it scares me that it's only on my left side. Is this normal? What could be causing it?

Recovery from Tummy Tuck and Abdominoplasty

+3

The postoperative recovery for abdominoplasty procedures occurs immediately after surgery. As the nerves begin to reinnervate their respective areas on the abdominal wall, patients may begin to experience sensations that may be painful at first but may then subside with time. At all times, keep a close dialogue with your surgeon.

Yes that is normal

+3

There are going to be many new sensations you will experience after tummy tuck/liposuction procedure. Pinching is one of them, itching, numbness, and tingling; you may also experience random sharp “electric shocks” probably also classified as pinching. Thankfully this is temporary and everything will eventually subside. The most important thing is to follow your doctor’s postoperative instructions and be a little patient.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

It is normal to get this feeling after Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+3

as the feeling over the abdomen starts to return after tummy tuck, all patients start to experience the sensation of pin prickes, or jabbing, or twitches. this is a very normal and expected feeling which will gradually go away over the next six months.

Massaging these areas and keeping them moisterized, helps to make it feel better and less sensitive.

yours,

Sean Younai, MD, www.beautifulself.com

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

By now it's probably gone

+3

Strange sensations or parasthesias, as they are known, are not uncommon after tummy tucks and/or liposuction. They also commonly occur more strongly on, or are isolated to one side or the other. These sensations are usually short lived and normalize by about six months or so. Hang in there, be patient and trust in your board certified plastic surgeon.

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Don't Get On My Nerves

+3

Following an Abdominoplasty and/or Liposuction, it is not unusual to go through a period of absent or abnormal sensation for several weeks to months. In the case of a Tummy Tuck, this diminished sensation is due to stretching or cutting of the nerves as well as post-operative swelling, whereas in the case of Liposuction, it is most likely due to partial tearing of the nerves, or inflammation in the suctioned fatty tissues surrounding the nerves.

As the swelling and post-surgical inflammatory response decreases, the sensation in the affected areas gradually returns. During that time, patients may experience abnormal and unusual sensations, such as burning, pulling, itching, stabbing, or hypersensitivity. For the most part, the sensation returns to normal or near normal within 6 months. During the healing phase, I find it helpful to my patients to encourage them to de-sensitize themselves to the abnormal sensation by massaging the surgical area by hand, or with a rolling pin, which also helps with the resolution of swelling.

Don't be nervous, it's just the nerves coming back!

Athleo Louis Cambre, MD

Pinching is part of the result!

+3

A pinching sensation may be the senastion you get when an admirer pinches your new found great body!

But on a more serious note, a tummy tuck involves tightening the muscle of the abdomen. The pull necessary to accomplish this tightening is performed with sutures (stitches) that are placed in the muscle. This can give you the senastion of pinching or burning, especially if you turn or twist in an unnatural way.The sensation itself does not cause any harm, but will make you aware that you may be doing too much.

The pinching sensation can also be the result of the sutures that are used to pull the skin together at the end of the procedure.

Either way, pinching is normal.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Post operative pain and discomfort should get better with time!

+2

Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and liposuction are both invasive procedures. Nerves have been either been cut, bruised, and/or stretched during the procedure. It is not uncommon for one side to be more symptomatic than the other side. It is to be expected that one may feel intermittent twinges, shooting pains, and/or burning sensations. Usually maneuvers to DESENSITIZE the area, starting with intermittent light massage several times per day are helpful.

Post operative pain and discomfort will get better over time. If the pain you described does not improve, then I would recommend you go back to your treating surgeon and be re-evaluated. There are medications that can be prescribed for nerve pain. Patients with constant pain in a localized area may respond to anesthetic dermal patches or a series of injections of numbing medication. Bottom line is to stay in contact with your treating surgeon. He/she knows you the best and the surgery performed.

Thanks for your question.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Give it some time and it should improve

+2

Miesha,

I think your surgeon may have meant to say the nerves re-attaching themselves. During abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and liposuction, the tissue planes are dissected and divided.

Often there are small sensory nerves crossing through these areas, which need to be divided as part of the surgery. Over the next few months as the tissue is healing the little nerve endings find there way back in place.

Other, less likely alternatives include a seroma (fluid collection) irritating the nerves or causing pressure or nerve entrapment. You should improve over time, but you should follow-up closely with your surgeon.

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD

Strange sensations after surgery (abdominoplasty) are common.

+1

After any operation, as sensibility returns to the affected area, strange sensations may occur.  It might be pain, itching, tightening, etc.  Over time, these decrease in frequency, intensity, and duration.  Keep you scheduled appointments with you surgeon so he can monitor your progress, but what you are experiencing is quite common.

Normal sensations after tummy tuck

+1

After a tummy tuck, it is normal to experience a wide variety of sensations. Many patients say that they have numbness in the lower and central portion of their abdomen. After a period of time, they describe tingling sensations in this same area of the skin. This is the nerves healing and your sensation returning. If you have a pinching sensation deep into the skin, this may be your muscle layer. Inform your surgeon of these concerns as they will likely want to examine you to make sure that your muscle repair is intact and that you are not having any difficulties.
To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD