Concerns About Tummy Tuck for Stretch Marks

I am considering getting a tummy tuck, My problem is not a loose skin or loose muscle but a severe case of stretch marks from hip to hip and aprox 2 inch above my belly button down to the upper part of the pubic area. My stomach is over all flat but do have loose skin I have a 10year daughter, I have low body fat, and I'm at my ideal weight. I just hate the unsightly stretch marks.Being that I am my ideal weight and dont have tooo tooo much skin to play with with I see good results? I am undergoing lipo in certain areas, perhaps this can loosen up more skin? I have seen before and after pictures but cannot seem to find pictures that I can relate too (stretch marks more than fat). What are your thoughts?

Tummy tuck for stretch marks

+9

You must accept the surgical fact that there will ALWAYS be some residual stretch marks NO MATTER how tight you are "pulled"! Beware of the yes docs who only want your $ not the truth.

Regards from MIAMI Dr. B

Tummy Tuck Scar

+7

Thanks for the question -

Abdominoplasty is an effective way to remove stretch mark scars, tighten abdominal muscles, remove excess skin typical after weight loss or pregnancy and improve your abdominal contour.

These benefits come at the cost of a scar. For full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) there is a scar around your umbilicus and from hip to hip. Typically this scar is low enough to be hidden in your panty line.

Unfortunately, other treatments of treating stretch marks tend to not be very effective.

I hope this helps!

Steven H. Williams, MD

Perfect for Tummy Tuck

+6

You look like a perfect candidate for a tummy tuck! A tummy tuck does 3 main things:

1. Remove excess abdominal skin
  2. Improve your profile view by pulling in the abdominal wall
  3. Improve you waistline by pulling the muscles toward the midline

The amount of skin excess you are showing would lead me to think I could remove skin from your belly button down to the location of a C-Section scar (about 1/2 your abdominal skin). To be certain, you would need to be examined, and the elasticity of your upper abdominal skin judged. With this in mind, you could expect all lower abdominal stretch marks to disappear. The ones that are above the level of your belly button would still be there, but they would migrate down to the lower abdomen. After surgery, you would probably not have any stretchmarks over your new belly button.

Do not let anyone liposuction your stomach skin. One of the side effects of lipo is that it creates scar below the skin surface. For pure lipo, this is a benefit, as the contracture of the scar improves the lipo results by tightening. If you are planning to do a tummy tuck, this tightened scar limits the stretch of the skin, and you will not be able to remove as much skin as you could have if lipo was not done.

You do not have much fat to get rid of, and a tummy tuck alone will give the appearance of fat removal. (Doubling the length of your abdominal skin will effectively thin it by half!)

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Removing stretch marks with tummy tucks

+5

You can get rid of stretch marks only if they are within the area of skin that will be removed with a tummy tuck.  The skin between your navel and the pubic area is the skin that is usually removed.  If your stretch marks go beyond that area, they will still be there after a tummy tuck.

Mario Loomis, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck WILL permanently Remove Stretch Marks

+5

You are an IDEAL candidate for a Tummy Tuck.

The procedure WILL remove most of the damaged stretch marked skin, will remove all loose skin, will narrow the waist giving much more of an hour glass figure, will flatten the tummy and will lift a sagging Mons pubis. NONE of these are obtainable with Lipo and especially with laser lipo (IE SmartLipo).

Dr. P. Aldea

Stretch Marks

+5

You sound happy with your abdomen. Although I think you have excess skin. BUT it does not matter what I think.

If you are happy with your skin and abdomen but BOTHERED by the STRETCH MARKS, do not aste your money. There is no treatment for stretch marks.

My feeling is, even if you do a tummy tuck and that will get rid of 90% of your stretch marks. You will still have some stretch marks left behind and a scar from hip to hip. I do not think you will be happy.

I sounds as if you are a perfect candidate for a tummy tuck

+5

It would appear that the skin from the pubis to about the umbilicus could be removed with a tummy tuck. This would remove the majority of your stretch marks (aside from the ones above the top of the scar). This of course is only an estimate based on the photo provided. The trade-off is a scar from hip to hip (well hidden) and around the navel. Other treatments for stretch marks including laser therapy may improve stretch marks but excision (tummy tuck) is the only way to remove them. Some of my happiest tummy tuck patients ,like you, present near their ideal body weight with their primary concern being stretch marks.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

A good tummy tuck should help you a lot.

+5

Of course you will have a scar, and not all the stretch marks can be removed. There are several different ways to do a tummy tuck. But I predict that with good technique, your stomach will be flatter and tighter and you will be happy.

I have found that after a tummy tuck, even those stretch marks that cannot be removed are less noticeable and of course they are lower down towards your pubic area.

You will benefit by having some liposuction done together with the tummy tuck, but liposuction alone will not help you and may make things worse.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Stretch marks and tummy tucks

+4

You are an ideal candidate for  a Bikini Tummy Tuck . As you have read already the tummy tuck will remove about 85% of your stretch marks (from right above the belly button to about where a c-section scar would be. The liposculpture will shape your waistline .

Key issues:

1- The remaining stretch marks will look better when the skin is tightened.

2- The overall improvement in your shape is worth the surgery irrespective of some stretch marks that remain.

3- Liposuction alone will probably leave you dissatisfied, and not recruit any more skin for your tummy tuck. This will only leave the loose skin looser.

4- Look for a surgeon that specializes in your body type. Have him show you pictures of similar patients.

Jose M. Soler-Baillo, MD

Tummy tuck is effective for abdominal stretch marks

+4
Based on your photo and description- you would benefit from a standard tummy tuck- this would remove the damaged skin you have, tighten your abdominal tissues and improve your shape. If you have stretch marks several centimeters above your BB, these marks would not be completely removed with a TT. They would be lowered to your pubc region and might be concealed by clothing.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS