Laser, Obagi Nuderm, or Skin Medica Lytera? (photo)

I have had 2 BBL photofacial and haven't really seen that much difference with my pigmentation issues. I am now considering either the Obagi Nuderm, Skinmedica Lytera, or a laser to treat my sun damage and hopefully bad texture. Which would be best to start out with?

BBL & Lytera: Great Combo for Pigment Reduction

+1
Treatments in addition to products like BBL photofacials and SkinMedica's Lytera are great plans for hyper-pigmentation.  For tone and texture, you may want to look in to laser resurfacing or micro-needling (dermapen) for better results. Penetrating the skin on a deeper, more aggresive level assuming you are the correct skin tone, may be a quicker route for better skin.

Dr. Ritacca
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Options for pigmentation

+1

We like IPL, Obagi and SkinMedica's Lytera but also recommend Clear+Brilliant Laser, Fraxel Dual and SkinMedica Vitalize Peels to lighten pigmentation.  There are pro's and con's to each.  Obagi Nu Derm, for example, has way too many steps for most people and is very costly, so we are now recommending Lytera which achieved equal results in a head-to-head study with Obagi, but with only 2 steps and less than half the cost for a kit.  We recommend all our patients who wish to lighten pigmentation treat at home with either a hydroquinone product such as Obagi, or with Lytera, either by itself or to prepare for and then maintain after an in office treatment.  We also like Elure Lightening Lotion to breakdown pigmentation, if a treatment is not being done in the office.  

Web reference: http://www.ocdermatology.com/ipl-photo-facial-rejuvenation

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Treating hyperpigmentation and melasma

+1

We use BBL, Obagi NuDerm and Lytera in our clinic, all with very nice results, but patient selection is critical. If you have flat brown spots and some redness and/or blood vessels, then BBL is a very nice option. If you have melasma or post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation, then Obagi NuDerm is terrific, or for more sensitive skin Lytera is quite good. Both will help even out your skin tone and make your skin glow. All have a role, best to speak with your dermatologist for the best option for you, which sometimes means doing a few different types of treatments. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.