I Have Been Using Obagi-C RX System with Hydroquinone 4%. Is This Product Safe on the Face?

Is hydroquinone 4% cream safe for the face?

+3

Prescription strength 4% hydroquinone is better than any OTC product for lightening dark spots in the skin. It is perfectly safe to use on the face but I recommend stopping every four months to give your skin a break. These dark spots are typically due to chronic sun damage so daily use of sunscreens is essential in your treatment. Hydroquinone is still the "gold standard" treatment for facial pigmentation.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/obagi-medical-systems/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Obagi CRx

+2

Obagi CRx is a great system for all patients who are starting to show the effects of age and sun damage to their skin.  It is not as aggressive as Nu Derm and is easier to adjust to.  I still feel that Hydroquinones are the gold standard in the treatment of pigmentation and are the only products which can give you predictable results.   Once you have achieved the lightening you desire, it is wise to take a vacation from HQ products for awhile.  I also like to encourage patients who are eager to improve pigmentation to use a retinoid(Retin A or Tazorac) at nighttime and to be sure to use physical sunlblocks every day. 

Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Hydroquinone on Face?

+1

Thank you for your question. I would recommend giving your skin a break from Hydroquinone as it does have side effects with continual unsupervised use. I would recommend getting being treated under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist