Can the Obagi Nu Derm System Used with Retin A 0.1% Strength Help with Pitted Scarring?

A cosmetic clinic I visited claimed that the Obagi Nu Derm system used in conjunction with retin A can help improve indented scarring. My scars are pretty shallow and I don't know whether or not to go with this treatment, or do profractional treatments instead. My skin type is a V. An other consult clinic I visited recommended 5 treatments of profractional in conjunction with the obagi system minus the retin A. The first option is a lot cheaper but i'm not sure I'll get great results.

Acne scars can be improved with laser and TCA Cross

+1

Skin lightening creams can help with discoloration of scars.  I would recommend the Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM creams.  Pitted acne scars will do well with laser and TCA Cross.

Obagi for Indented Scars?

+1

Hi Erbium.  All Obagi will do is exfoliate the skin (remove dead skin from the surface).  While this may help very superficial scars look marginally better, it will not fundamentally change the surface texture, which is what is possible with a laser resurfacing procedure.  

For your skin Type, we like the Profractional system.  This is a viable option for indented scars on dark skin.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD