Do Calf Implant Patients Have to Avoid Certain Sports and Activities in the Long Term?

I have come across a legal journal where a calf implant patient suffered severe complications and was suing the surgeon, in the article it was quoted that: "People who receive the implants are advised to avoid sports that have a lot of contact or impact, like football or basketball. Running speeds are also decreased". I would like to know how accurate this statement is? From research I didn't think this procedure would be that restrictive but I would like to know other surgeons advice on this?

Calf implants and sports

+1
Calf implants have an initial recovery of 2 weeks until patients can walk reasonably well.
They have 6 weeks until regular activity.
Legs can continue to swell on and off for long periods of time, especially women.

Patients can return to full sports once they heal.
But like all implants, they are vulnerable to displacement, bleeding and other problems if the area is injured. 
And yes, although uncommon, implants of all kinds can displace with vigorous physical activity.

Calf Implants

+1

Calf implants are a good option for patients with naturally small calves who want to create a fuller, more sculpted look in this area. They can also benefit patients who have congenital deformities or injuries in this area.

The implants are placed through a small incision behind the knee. They are placed beneath the fascia, which is a thick covering over the muscle. In many cases, two implants are placed in each leg to mimic the natural shape of the calf muscle. A small plastic drain may be used and will be in place for several days. The legs are placed in a mildly compressive wrap for several days after surgery. Patients usually return to work in 7-10 days. More strenuous activities should be avoided for 4-6 weeks. After 6 weeks patients can return to full play sports or do physical activities.

Gregory A. Wiener, MD, FACS

Exercise and running after Calf Implant surgery can be done

+1

After undergoing a Calf Augmentation it is advised to take 3 to 6 weeks off of running and exercising. Patients do return to full exercise, running, skiing and even ice hockey after Calf Augmentation surgery. Having this procedure done by a qualified surgeon is key.

Z. Paul Lorenc, MD