Can Caci Face Lift Cause Mercury Leackage from Old Dental Fillings?

is the metallic taste and feel during a caci treatment dangerous as it may release mercury into the body through old fillings in teeth?

Great question.

+3

Caci treatment appears to be an electrical current device that promoters tout as being an effective facial treatment.  Without getting into the efficacy of this type of service, the metallic taste your are describing is likely from the electrical current.  WIll this release mercury from your filling?  I do not believe that there has been a study on this.  Mercury does leach out of the filling.  Amalgam can be 50% mercury and body exposure to this mercury does increase in with increasing numbers of amalgam fillings.  I suggest that your discuss your concerns with your personal dentist.  Until then, if you are concern about this issue, you might consider curtailing caci treatment.

Caci treatment

+1

There have been a number of similar low level electrical, LED, RF, and vibration treatments marketed which produce little if any short term-effect and no proven long-term effect.  As far as mercury it is not known since none of these devices have to go through any FDA testing.  If you are concerned you can have your Hg levels checked

Sam Naficy, MD

CACI "facelift" causes mercury leaching from amalgam dental fillings?

+1

Dr. Steinsapir's answer is correct with regards to amalgam, and his advice is sound. He was being "politically correct" in not getting into the efficacy of this treatment.

I will attempt to address the "effectiveness" of CACI.

CACI treatments are basically electric muscle stimulators applied to various areas of the body (in this case, the face) via moist, cotton-tipped wands, skin patches (like EKG pads), or metallic probes, wheels, or paddles. The idea is that millivolt stimulation of (whichever area is to be treated) somehow causes (whatever claim you want to make). For the face, the stimulation of the facial muscles "tones and tightens, rejuvenating your facial appearance, and taking off the years and wrinkles painlessly!" (I could write these promos, don't you think?)

For the legs and butt, stimulation of the tissues "lifts, tones, and re-educates the muscles to the way they used to be!" It also is said to "reduce cellulite, improve contour, and tighten skin!" Shucks, for what this stuff costs, it should walk the dog AND scoop the poop!

I'm resisting the urge to say CACI is ca-ca!

Whether or not you have a metallic taste in your mouth, CACI is a waste of your money. Truthfully, it does no harm, so this is one of the least bad "snake-oils" out there. Facial exercises do NOTHING for loose or wrinkled skin (just as sit-ups do nothing for stretched abdominal skin; you need a tummy tuck to fix that problem). And the facial muscles get plenty of exercise as we all talk, blink, eat, and exhibit facial expressions for the entire waking hours (and during REM sleep at night), so lack of stimulation is not a problem . . .

. . . just as CACI is not a solution! Cheers!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon