Burning After Sneeze, Tummy Tuck?

I am 8 days PO & sneezed, unable to grab a pillow to put pressure on my belly- did my best with my arms, but now I've had a (bearable) burning sensation for a few hours. Could I have done damage to my abdomen & stitches? I have my 3rd appointment PO in 3 days- is it Ok to wait until then to ask my Dr.? Is there anything I can look for that might give away whether I have done any damage, to indicate to call now? I have otherwise had very little swelling from the TT according to my Dr.

Burning After Sneeze, Tummy Tuck

+2

It is quite common for TT patients to feel that they have damaged their operation due to a cough, sneeze, bend etc., and quite uncommon to find any actual damage. The sutures used are typically quite large and strong, and are capable of withstanding a sneeze. The pain you experienced is not uncommon after a sneeze, but is not a sigh of any damage. .

Waiting until you appointment makes sense. There would be nothing to do  at this stage anyway even if there were a disruption.

Thank you for your question, best wishes. 

Pain after Sneezing after Tummy Tuck?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the discomfort you experienced after sneezing and tummy tuck surgery. Unfortunately, sneezing, coughing, laughing, straining…can all cause significant discomfort after tummy tuck surgery. Usually, these events do not cause “damage” to the abdominal wall repair. In other words, it would take significant pressure/trauma to do so.

If you notice a significant increase in swelling, bruising or change in contour of the abdominal wall there is reason to be concerned and would indicate a reason to seek earlier follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Otherwise, it is most likely that there has been no harm done.