Why Does Bridge of my Nose Swell when Sun Hits It (10mo Post Op)?

The bridge of my nose is super sensitive to the sun(especially the sun through glass while in car). I am 10mos. post op. I had extensive graft work. The Dr. left splint on nose for two weeks after surgery resulting in a red blistery nose (was not sure if this could contribute sun sensitivity of the bridge). Thank you for your response. I have lived under a hat (even in winter) and I avoid the sun.

Effects of sun exposure post-rhinoplasty

+2

It takes a good year for the skin to become less sensitive and less prone to sun damage following surgery. The tissues have not yet matured, which is why you're experiencing this. It should go without saying that sun protection is vital for you. Apply a daily sunblock and use protective clothing, hats, etc. when outdoors.

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Swelling following sun exposure 10 months after rhinoplasty

+2

In general, rhinoplasty can result in the following side effects:

1) Bruising
2) Swelling
3) Congestion
4) Asymmetrical result due to swelling
5) Mild pain that can be controlled with pain medication

You will still be experiencing some residual swelling at ten months post-op, and it is possible for the nose to swell slightly following sun exposure. Based on the reaction you had on your skin, it appears your skin is quite sensitive. The history of red blistering could add to this sensitivity. It is good to take proper precautions to avoid the sun in general. When your nose is covered with a high spf sunscreen, you should be ok to spend time outdoors. I would recommend following up with your physician regarding his/her guidelines. I hope this helps,and good luck!

Web reference: http://www.carolinafacialplasticsurgery.com/surgical-procedures/rhinoplasty/

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sun sensitivity after rhinoplasty

+2

As long as the skin is healing, for most up to 12 months, the nose will be sun sensitive and burn more easily after rhinoplasty. Sunscreen with a high SPF, or a physical block, like cosmetics and sunblock with micronized zinc, will help see you through.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Sun Exposure after Skin Compromise and Grafting in Rhinoplasty

+2

Continue sun avoidance for at least a year and maybe longer if you continue to have this response.  If the grafts have thinned the skin or it was thin as a result of other maneuvers, this area of skin may be more susceptible to damage.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Sun sensitive skin

+2

A sun sensitive skin is a sign of a healing nose.  Noses with extensive reconstruction/grafting will need more time to heal.  Continue sunscreen, and sun avoidance