Tuberous Breast Correction

I have, what I believe to be, a mild case of tuberous breast deformity. I am not so much concerned with the size of my breast, but their shape. In terms of corrective surgery, it is possible to fix their conical shape without implants or are implants generally recommended? What type of implant is suggested for tuberous breast correction surgery?

Correcting Tuberous (Snoopy Dog) Constricted Breast Deformity

+2

Regarding: "Tuberous Breast Correction
I have, what I believe to be, a mild case of tuberous breast deformity. I am not so much concerned with the size of my breast, but their shape. In terms of corrective surgery, it is possible to fix their conical shape without implants or are implants generally recommended? What type of implant is suggested for tuberous breast correction surg
ery?"

The Tuberous (Snoopy Dog) Breast Deformity is an extreme case of constricted breast deformity. Instead of having a round hemi-sphere dome shape the breast have a variety of narrower shapes resembling an ice cream swirl. The shape is due to variable circumferential constriction by soft tissue fibers similar to the way Christmas trees are kept tied when sold before the holidays.

Full release of these fibers would change the swirl into more of a dome and would improve matters and you do not have to have implants. But you would get a much nicer result by putting in implants which would provide an outward force further expanding the breast centrifugally and giving it a MORE hemispheric dome shape.  In my opinion, either Mentor saline style 2000 - Moderate Profile plus or their gel analogs, the Mentor smooth round High Profile gel implants produce the most attractive results, if you choose to have implants.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Tuberous breast correction

+2

If you are happy with your size, don't get implants.  You are a great candidate for a periareolar breast reshaping.  This procedure will reduce the puffiness and diameter of your areola and decrease the conical shape of your breasts. Think of an Egyptian pyramid becoming an Aztec pyramid. 

Some tuberous patients really need implants but you don't.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Correction of tuberous breast without implants

+2

If you are happy with the size of your breasts, there is no reason to place implants.  The shape can be corrected and the volume of your breasts would be the same, your breasts would just be more round with less protrusion of the nipple areola complex.  If you do desire added volume, then implants can be placed.  I would recommend that you be measured and evaluated by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine what implant would be best for you.  The choice of the type of implant would depend on how much lager you would want to be, as the diameter of the implant will vary depending on how much volume you end up choosing.  Good Luck!

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Do my tuberous breasts need breast implants?

+1

There is nerver an absolute indication for breast implants.  I agree with the recommendation by most surgeons here that you can get some improvement by a surgery to release the breast tissue through a scar around the areola.  However, I also feel that the correction would be much better if you agreed to at least a small round implant placed over the muscle to help redrape the breast tissue. An implant will help spread out the "released" breast tissue so that it protrudes less into the areola.

Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of tuberous breasts

+1

Correction of tuberous breast would involve release of the constriction tissue internally and addition of volume to support the shape - round versus tuberous - of the breasts.  So, an implant would positively affect the outcome of your surgery.  Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

The tuberous breast is usually corrected within implant

+1

Correcting a to breast breast of formerly requires release of the constricting breast tissue. Often these breasts are smaller than the patient desires and so the correction involves adding an implant. Recently the use of enhanced fat grafts (using platelet rich plasma and stem cells)has been investigated and there are numerous clinical trials taking place. In my experience, I always tell the patient that they will probably need a secondary, revision surgery which is usually a minor touchup procedure.

Avoiding implants in tuberous breast

+1

There are some recent reports of satisfactory correction of tuberous or constricted breast with the use of needle release and lipoinjection of the breast thereby avoiding the use of implants.

Correction of tuberous breasts

+1

Your case is not "mild" (type I), but more involved, and more difficult to predictably achieve a beautiful result.  The deformity appears relatively symmetric (good).  Implants are generally recommended to improve the shape of these breasts, as well as normalize the size to attractive proportion.  Conventional implants (round) should be just fine, my personal preference is gel because of the more natural texture and less rippling, especially since after scar release, the implant will be subdermal in some areas.

Web reference: http://www.feelbeautiful.com/breast/augmentation-san-diego-ca/

Circumareolar release with areola reduction and fat grafting.

+1

The treatment for the tubular breast involves releasing the constricting scar tissue and adding volume to the cleavage. I would recommend circumareolar breast scar release with areolar reduction and fat grafting . The use of the implant in the tubular breast is the common practice but leads to later breast deformities.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast correction

+1

I would agree that you appear to have a tuberous breast deformity. This is evidenced by the constricted appearance of the breasts, the apparent herniation of breast tissue into the areolas, and the elevated inframammary folds. Correction of this deformity is typical performed by releasing the internal constriction (cutting internal bands which cause the herniation and conical shape), lowering the breast fold, and increasing volume with an implant. Volume can also be improved with a latissimus flap or autologous fat injections as well. Simply releasing the constriction often leads to flattening of the breasts which may not give you an acceptable appearance. This is not a "straightforward" surgery, and I recommend a consultation with a plastic surgeon who has experience treating tubular breasts.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.