Tuberous Breast Correction

I have, what I believe to be, a mild case of tuberous breast deformity. I am not so much concerned with the size of my breast, but their shape. In terms of corrective surgery, it is possible to fix their conical shape without implants or are implants generally recommended? What type of implant is suggested for tuberous breast correction surgery?

Correcting Tuberous (Snoopy Dog) Constricted Breast Deformity

+2

Regarding: "Tuberous Breast Correction
I have, what I believe to be, a mild case of tuberous breast deformity. I am not so much concerned with the size of my breast, but their shape. In terms of corrective surgery, it is possible to fix their conical shape without implants or are implants generally recommended? What type of implant is suggested for tuberous breast correction surg
ery?"

The Tuberous (Snoopy Dog) Breast Deformity is an extreme case of constricted breast deformity. Instead of having a round hemi-sphere dome shape the breast have a variety of narrower shapes resembling an ice cream swirl. The shape is due to variable circumferential constriction by soft tissue fibers similar to the way Christmas trees are kept tied when sold before the holidays.

Full release of these fibers would change the swirl into more of a dome and would improve matters and you do not have to have implants. But you would get a much nicer result by putting in implants which would provide an outward force further expanding the breast centrifugally and giving it a MORE hemispheric dome shape.  In my opinion, either Mentor saline style 2000 - Moderate Profile plus or their gel analogs, the Mentor smooth round High Profile gel implants produce the most attractive results, if you choose to have implants.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Tuberous breast correction

+2

If you are happy with your size, don't get implants.  You are a great candidate for a periareolar breast reshaping.  This procedure will reduce the puffiness and diameter of your areola and decrease the conical shape of your breasts. Think of an Egyptian pyramid becoming an Aztec pyramid. 

Some tuberous patients really need implants but you don't.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Correction of tuberous breast without implants

+2

If you are happy with the size of your breasts, there is no reason to place implants.  The shape can be corrected and the volume of your breasts would be the same, your breasts would just be more round with less protrusion of the nipple areola complex.  If you do desire added volume, then implants can be placed.  I would recommend that you be measured and evaluated by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine what implant would be best for you.  The choice of the type of implant would depend on how much lager you would want to be, as the diameter of the implant will vary depending on how much volume you end up choosing.  Good Luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breast Correction

+1

Tuberous breast deformity involves a constricting ring that grows around the breast base. This ring stops the horizontal and/or vertical expansion of the breast, leading to constricted appearance with large areolas and irregular nipples. Surgery is necessary to release constricted tissue, and implants may be placed to enhance volume. 

The surgery does not have to involve the placement of implants, however you may not like the size of your breasts afterward. If you prefer an implant, then they are typically placed in the sub-mammary position to better influence your breast’s shape and to add greater volume. However, this all depends on what your surgeon recommends based on a physical examination. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Tuberous Breasts

+1
We can often make an excellent improvement on tuberous breast. Surgical treatment plan often involves combination of implants and steps to release the internal fascia of the breast and to reshape and reduce the areola. Tuberous breasts can be challenging but the results can be exceptional. In your case  implants are not absolutely necessary. The shape could be corrected while allow your breast to remain the same size. 

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

Tuberous breast deformity

+1
Thank you for your question!   Given your photos, it does appear that you have a mild tuberous breast/constricted breast deformity.  The standard procedure would be placement of an implant (or tissue expander, depending on the lower pole of your breast) as well as a circumareolar breast lift.  These modalities would correct the issues with tuberous breast: constricted breast at the inferior pole, via breast prosthetic; scoring of the tissue to release the bands; lowering the inframammary fold; correcting the herniation of breast tissue into the areolae; and decreasing the overall size of the areolae.  These are the hallmarks of tuberous breasts.  You could likely get great results with an implant and possible breast lift.  The type of implant will be personal preference - your surgeon will discuss the various types of implants with you.

Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and discuss your goals and expectations.  S/he will then be able to examine and discuss the various options and assist you in deciding which decision os the right one for you, given your desires.  I would expect a very pleasing result for you!  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Do my tuberous breasts need breast implants?

+1

There is nerver an absolute indication for breast implants.  I agree with the recommendation by most surgeons here that you can get some improvement by a surgery to release the breast tissue through a scar around the areola.  However, I also feel that the correction would be much better if you agreed to at least a small round implant placed over the muscle to help redrape the breast tissue. An implant will help spread out the "released" breast tissue so that it protrudes less into the areola.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of tuberous breasts

+1

Correction of tuberous breast would involve release of the constriction tissue internally and addition of volume to support the shape - round versus tuberous - of the breasts.  So, an implant would positively affect the outcome of your surgery.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

The tuberous breast is usually corrected within implant

+1

Correcting a to breast breast of formerly requires release of the constricting breast tissue. Often these breasts are smaller than the patient desires and so the correction involves adding an implant. Recently the use of enhanced fat grafts (using platelet rich plasma and stem cells)has been investigated and there are numerous clinical trials taking place. In my experience, I always tell the patient that they will probably need a secondary, revision surgery which is usually a minor touchup procedure.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Avoiding implants in tuberous breast

+1

There are some recent reports of satisfactory correction of tuberous or constricted breast with the use of needle release and lipoinjection of the breast thereby avoiding the use of implants.