Will I Be Able to Breastfeed After Breast Augmentation and Doughnut Mastopexy?

I had breast augmentation with a doughnut mastopexy three years ago and am wondering if I will have enough milk supply to breastfeed, hopefully without supplementation. This is my third baby and breastfed the first two perfectly. I still have feeling in my nipples which I read was a good sign. Please share your expertise and maybe some success stories of past patients. Thank you!

Will I be able to breasfeed after breast augmentation and doughnut mastopexy?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast procedures such as the breast lift and breast reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts along with raising of the nipple-areolar complex to an appropriate position. Since there is an incision made around the areola along with some rearrangement of tissue of the breast, there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. However, in terms of breastfeeding, studies have shown that there is no increased risk of changing your ability to do so after breast procedures. Not every woman can breastfeed...thus if you can now, your ability to do so will not change after such procedures. Best wishes!

Breast feeding after breast augmentation...

+1

The doughnut mastopexy typically does not remove any tissue, depending on how it was performed by your surgeon. Also your breast ducts should not have been cut in this procedure and so they should flow easily with any milk you make.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding and mastopexy

+1

You should be able to breast feed after a concentric nipple/areolar reduction and breast augmentation.  Rember that another pregnancy may stretch the breast again.  The doughtnut lift could possibly not be enough of a lift after another session of breast feeding.  You may then become a candidate for another more involved breast lift.  Also, a bigger implant may be useful in order to fill up a loose skin envelope.

H. Michael Roark, MD

Breast feeding after cosmetic breast surgery

+1

Thank you for your question. I have performed well over 1000 breast augmentations and hundreds of breast lifts of all types. In general, my finding is that if you were able to breast feed before your surgery, you should be able to breast feed afterwards. Obviously, there are no guarantees. The bottom line is give it a try. If you don't produce enough milk, there is no harm in supplementing with a bottle. Good luck.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding after implants and donut mastopexy

+1

It is likely that you  will be able to breast feed after a breast augmentation and donut mastopexy but you will not know for sure until you try.  Good luck.