Is It Possible to Get a B Cup from 40DD After Breast Reduction?

Breast Reduction - Is It Possible to Get a B Cup from 40DD After Breast Reduction?

+1

Yes - but that may not be in your best interest.  In general, it's ABOUT 200 grams per bra cup size, but it's less than that when you're going from a AAA to a AA, and more if from a C to a D.  It's also more if you're a larger person and less if smaller.  With this procedure (breast reduction) there is a volume reduction but you have to maintain enough tissue to support (ie, allow adequate blood supply for) the nipple and areola and, at the same time, you want to have an aesthetic shape.  Going too small could impair the blood supply and/or adversely impact the overall shape.  I would, therefore, suggest that you discuss this with your plastic surgeon and take his or her advice rather than setting your sights on a specific bra cup size.  And, finally, bra sizes vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer; in the end, what's important is finding out what's appropriate for you, your frame and the look you'd like to achieve.  And that's a critical part of your discussion with your plastic surgeon.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Breast Reduction and Small Cup Size Result?

+1

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  Most patients, like you, wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B cup” or "very small looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. ‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

It is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly.   Sometimes  when patients want “almost nothing left”  the reduction should be done in 2 stages.  The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible)  then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.  Doing the procedure in more than one stage allows the tissues to  acclimate to the surgically decreased blood flow before  further tissue removal (and potentially further decreased blood flow)  occurs ( with the 2nd stage operation).

The other concern with overly aggressive breast reduction surgery is patient dissatisfaction  afterwards.  It is not unusual for patients who have lived with very large breasts to want to have as much as possible removed. Care must be taken to be judicious in this removal to avoid an outcome where the breasts  are too small in relation (proportionately) to the patient's other body parts.  Again, it is not uncommon, for patients'  breasts to become smaller ( after the breast reduction procedure) with time and/or weight loss-  breast augmentation may become necessary to achieve the patient size goals.

A "B" cup can be created from a "DD" breast with a reduction.

+1

This amount of reduction is substantial, but can be accomplished with a breast reduction.  The areola might need to be grafted for safety which would render it anesthetic, but the operation can be done.

Getting to a B cup with a breast reduction surgery

+1

Although it is possible to ultimately create a B cup with a breast reduction surgery, it is important to discuss with your surgeon if this shape will complement the rest of your features and flatter your figure. Also discuss with your surgeon what technique he or she will use to create this breast reduction and how they will prolong the result. Your plastic surgeon should also review with you with your final scar configuration will look like. For such a large reduction, it is possible that your plastic surgeon may use a lollipop incision with a lateral extent in the crease below your breast.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Not practical to reduce that much

+1

To go that small you would have to go nearly toward a complete breast removal such as in cancer surgery. You stand a high chance of losing sensitivity to the breast and skin not to mention having a not-so-attractive shape with significant scarring. I wouldn't advise such a radical reducton.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

B cup from a DD

+1

It is not likely that you can reduce a DD breast cup size down to a B cup. The tissue that keeps the nipple alive has to be of a certain thickness as well as the skin limbs that get closed around the pedicle of tissue. A large C or possibly D is more likely.

Easy to go down 3 cup sizes after breast reduction.

+1

Hi.

I think your expectations for breast reduction sound very reasonable. You can certainly be a B cup.

Talking about cup size is not really enough. In our New York City practice, we have patients show me pictures of breasts that they like, so I have an exact visual image of what they want. Everyone's idea of a B cup is a little different.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Proportions more important then cup size

+1

Breast reduction surgery removes excess breast tissue and reshapes the contour of the breasts so that they are smaller and perkier. I commonly use a minimal incision technique (Le Jour), eliminating the need for large scars while providing a pleasing breast contour and shape that is proportionate to the patients body.

Your surgeon knows exactly how much tissue he or she is taking out, because it is weighed after removal. And breast reduction comes with an added bonus: the extracted breast tissue is always sent to the lab and examined by a pathologist for signs of cysts or cancer.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Cup size after breast reduction?

+1

AWade:

Your surgeon should be able to perform a procedure that will establish better proportions, relieve back, neck & shoulder discomfort, and make your life more comfortable. Your surgeon may not be able to assure you a specific post-operative cup size. Your surgeon will not be able to give you the breast you might have had in high school. A C-cup is the most common request I get.

Breast reduction patients are among the happiest patients. I hope you achieve the same.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

There are several factors to consider in breast reduction

+1

When undergoing a breast reduction, there are several factors to consider.

Generally speaking large breasts also have a wide base diameter. In order to reduce a large breast, the surgeon must preserve the nipple and the attached tissue that supplies it with blood flow. In addition, the skin that will be preserved must be sufficiently thick to survive.

As a result, if you want to have an attractive and shapely breast, then you will unlikely achieve a B cup.

However, if you want a B cup regardless of the cosmetic appearance of the breast, it can easily be achieved.

Keep in mind that the reduced breast will then appear very flat. Almost like a male breast.

In summary, if shape and appearance is important to you, then achieving a B cup is unlikely. But if you don't care about the cosmetic appearance of the breast, any size is possible.

Think about it carefully before you decide to undergo a reduction.

Good luck with your surgery.

A. Peter Salas, MD