Sagging After Breast Reduction?

I am a 42J, 5’4, 180 pounds, 22 yeard old, and planning to have a breast reduction. I am in the process of losing weight before surgery. Will my breasts sag after my surgery with more weight loss? Let’s say I get down to 150/160 pounds before the surgery, and then lose an additional 20/30 after the surgery. Will this make my breasts more saggy? They are already very saggy right now.

Sagging breasts after weight loss

+2

I know you must be quite excited about your upcoming breast reduction surgery!  For someone with large heavy breasts, a breast reduction can really be life-changing.  And you're young, so you'll be able to enjoy your smaller breasts for a long time. 

Significant weight loss (20+ lbs) can cause some skin looseness in the breasts IF your breasts get smaller with weight loss.  For some women, breast size doesn't change much with weight loss--if that's the case, then your breast shape won't change much either.  And,even if your breast size and shape does change some with weight loss, they will not look anything like they did prior to your surgery.  "Sagging" is all relative, and you likely have right now the most sagging you'll ever have.

Weight loss after breast reduction

+1
Losing weight following your breast reduction may influence your results depending on the amount of weight lost and your unique physiology. It could contribute to sagging or a further decrease in breast size. On the other hand, it may not affect your results at all. It is difficult to say for sure although with the info you've provided, there is a good chance it would contribute to sagging.

I usually recommend that my patients reach their stable and ideal weight before pursuing surgery. This improves surgical outcome and reduces the risks associated with surgery.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast Reduction - Sagging After Breast Reduction?

+1

Well, they certainly may so, although you should be congratulated for your weight loss, it may be most prudent to wait until that process is complete before having your breast reduction.  Even then, of course, the aging process will continue, and the weight of your breasts (even if they've been reduced) will continue to combine with gravity to produce some sagging.  But that will be minimized if you finish your weight loss first.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction and Weight Loss?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Timing of the operation will depend on the patient's life circumstances. In general, it is best to do this procedure ( like all other elective body contouring the stages,  when patients have reached their long-term stable weights.  In doing so, improve the safety of the procedure and minimizes the need for further surgery ( in the event of weight gain/loss after the breast reduction procedure).

Avoid sagging after breast reduction surgery

+1

There are several ways to avoid sagging after breast reduction surgery. The most important factor is how the breast tissue is supported on to your frame. In our practice, we use different suturing techniques to reshape and re-create a pleasing breast mound. Once this internal framework has been developed we then drape the overlying skin onto this amount and remove the excess. The key is not to place too much tension on the skin. When attention is placed on the skin and can predispose the patient to significant healing problems as well as thick scarring. Be sure to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and understand their causes a plan to take to make sure that we retain your breast shape after surgery and that your scars heal as well as possible

Pat Pazmino, MD

Weight loss can result in saggy breasts

+1

The heavier your breasts are left after a breast reduction, the more the chance that they could again sag. Weight loss again adds to this chance. I would advise getting your weight stable before surgery.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and breast shape

+1

It is hard to predict what your breast would look like after a 20 pound weight loss. Suffice it to say that they may drop a bit.

Will my Breast Reduction result suffer if I lose weight?

+1

Hi there-

While I do think that good, modern techniques applied by an experienced breast reduction surgeon will produce a better, longer lasting result, even if you do lose weight, I also think that the result would be best and longest lasting if you waited to have your surgery until you have achieved your goal weight and have been stable at that weight for at least a few months.

Even with the very best technique, significant weight loss will result in a detrimental change in the shape of the breasts, especially in a patient who was previously heavier, as this weight gain and loss cycle will undoubtedly have cost you a bit of skin elasticity.

I hope that helps!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Good breast reduction technique prevents sagging.

+1

Hi.

With good INTERNAL breast reduction technique (Hall-Findlay approach), sagging is corrected even if you lose more weight.   The key is not to rely on tightening the skin to get  breast lift, because skin stretches.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

In general, get as close to your goal weight before surgery

+1

For breast reduction surgery, I think that the best cosmetic results occur when patients get relatively close to their goal weight (within 10-15 lbs). That being said, it is sometimes difficult to achieve this, because the shear size and weight of the breasts keep many patients for exercising effectively.

It's important to discuss these concerns with your surgeon so that he may give you his best advice, so that you can weigh the pros and cons in your mind and make the choice that suits you the best.

Good luck,

Dr. S

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS