Breast Numbness 6 Months After Augmentation

I had a breast augmentation (saline under muscle, crease incision) 6 1/2 months ago. I have complete numbness in about 70% of my breasts and the remaining skin has greatly decreased sensation. There has been no improvement in sensation or tingling etc. since day one post-op. What are my chances of getting sensation back to my breast tissue? Going into this procedure, I was only warned of potential nipple numbness. This has caused incredible depression and regret for ever getting implants.

Sensory changes

+1

Usually those patients that have sensory loss do not lose sensation in 70% of their breast. However, it is only six months and it may get better.

Breast augmentation

+1

Numbness of that much of breast skin is indeed rare.  It is possible that the skin will regain sensation, but this could take as long as 1 1/2 years to 2 years post-op.  Good luck!

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Loss of sensation after breast implant surgery

+1

This is very unfortunate and I am sad to hear this. It certainly does not happen that often and typically the vast majority of sensation returns by 6 months with some taking up to 18 months. Having said that, I am not quite sure on how to advise you. There is no guarantee that removing the implants could improve the sensation.

Sensation Loss RARE, But Can Happen

+1

The rates of permanent sensation loss after a breast augmentation really should be less than 0.1%.  Some women can have numbness in the lower portion of the breasts for a few months, but eventually it should return to normal.  I have never had a patient lose sensation, since when done correctly, those nerves should not be in danger throughout the surgery.  But they do get stretched, and that in itself can make them act strange for a while.  It can take up to two years for nerve damage to return, so just be patient and give it time.  Hoepfully you will wake up one day and relize that you are feeling more and more.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon