Breast Lift with or Without Implants if I Don't Want to Be Any Bigger Cup Size?

I am scheduled for a breast lift without implants. My dr says I have a lot of breast tissue to work with. I am a 36 dd and I don't want to be any bigger but want a good shape with upper pole roundness. Can I accomplish a good shape without an implant? He is planning on a vertical incision. Any advice will be very helpful.

Breast lift no implant?

+1

Thanks for your question. You would be a great candidate for a lift. If you like your general size then a lift would be the procedure of choice and you would loose very little volume. The best way to evaluate ptosis (sag) is by physical exam but a picture can give a preliminary idea. The best picture is a side profile. In general breast lifts are done to not only raise the nipple but also to make the areolar/nipple complex smaller and raise the breast tissue to a more natural youthful position. Of course, the key to a great breast lift is patient selection and technique selection. Areolar lifts are generally good for women with good skin quality, breast tissue reasonably placed and a nipple/areola that are sagging no more than 2 cm. Once the breasts sag past that point, it is necessary to perform a lollipop lift which not only repositions the sagging breast tissues but also the nipple and areola. The final and most aggressive lift is an anchor lift which places both a vertical and horizontal incision. Again the determinant is the degree of sagging, skin quality and amount of breast tissue. Last, if there is a deficiency in breast tissue, an augmentation can be done either together with the lift or as separate procedures. Make sure you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon get get specifics on your situation.

Lift With Or Without Implants

+1

At your size, it sounds like you should be able to achieve fullness without implants but it's very hard to say without photos.  Some women choose a small implant to make sure they achieve the upper pole roundness that you are describing because typically, it's difficult to achieve that look without implants.   If you are concerned, you should have another discussion with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon but keep in mind, you can always add implants later if your results are not what you were hoping for but that would be an additional cost.

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Without an Implant

+1

A breast lift can improve the look of your breasts and create the superior pole fullness you want.  An implant is not necessary.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lift without implants

+1
Generally, at your size, you do not need implants but photos would be useful. The lift technique is important in a patient who is already a DD. In terms of shape, upper pole volume is dependent on your starting point.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Lift With or Without Implants

+1

Your plan to do the lift only (no implants) is a good one as it seems you have plenty of natural volume. As mentiioned by other consultants, you need to make sure your surgeon is going to use a tye of procedure that actually relocates the true breast tissue upwards with internal fixation. Simply tightening the skin is not enough. Also, you cannot get as much upper fullness with a lift as you can with breast implants. but if you can get along without breast implants, you are better off as implant patients will always have maintenance and further cost in the future.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast lift without implants

+1

If you have DD breasts there should be adequate volume for you to have a nice result from a breast lift procedure.  Technique is important.  Techniques that lift the breast just by removing skin tend to settle and lose volume in the upper pole.  Some people want a great degree of fullness in the upper portions of the breast, in which case implants might help. 

As with all plastic surgery, a natural result is best.

John Q. Cook, MD

Breast lift and no implants

+1

I think an exam in person would help determine whether or not your goals could be accomplished.  Hard to say without photos as well.

Breast Lift with or Without Implants

+1

Without photos it is hard to give a useful response to your question. At your current size, I would in general much prefer to use only your own tissue and not add implants. There should be enough tissue to fashion a nice breast shape. A vertical mastopexy is probably the way to go, though hard to say without a picture.

All the best. 

Breast lift with or without implants

+1

You definitely can have a nice result from a breast lift without implants.  The question of how much roundness you can expect on top really depends upon what you are starting with and unfortunately without a picture I cannot tell you that.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Breast lift with or without implants

+1
it is very difficult to maintain true upper pole fullness with a breast lift only. Your problem is that you are already DD. an implant that would give you what you are really asking for is going to make you at least a cup size largerat which point is going to be difficult for that skin to hold up that much weight. Definitely time to discuss again with your plastic surgeon.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon