Breast Lift Scars: Are They Healing Correctly?

Please give me your expert opinion on my scars. At times I feel as though they are healing nicely then I look at my nipples and they are such odd shaped. Will I improve more as time goes by?
I had my surgery on 3.9.11, breast lift with 375cc HP implants. As you can see by the pictures my right breast has not dropped as much as my left, I am a bit worried about that due to when I work out, my right breast moves a lot more when I am lifting. (only 5 or 8 lb weights)

Breast lift scars appear to be healing normally.

+3

You are only 8 weeks from surgery, and neither your scars nor your implants have reached their final appearance! That will take about 6-12 months, with gradual and ongoing changes along the way. Final breast shape is related to both, and as your tissues heal and stretch, and your scars mature and soften, your final results will be revealed. In most cases it's worth the wait!

Though your photos do not show significant discrepancy (particularly for this point in your recovery), an elastic bandeau worn above the "high" breast implant side and below the "low" implant side (at night only) will help to even out position differences. During the day, going braless as much as work and social activities allow will aid in implants dropping into their final position.

Implant movement exercises can help your implant pocket stay open (and the breast soft), and can in some cases help to stretch it slightly, allowing more similar movement when your chest muscles contract. Move your implant on the "tighter" side more vigorously to help stretch the capsule. Can't hurt; might help!

Vitamin E scar massage, silicone scar pads, and ultraviolet avoidance will all aid your scars in fading as much as possible. Remember, however, no matter how skilled we are in suturing your incisions, all scars are permanent. Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Healing breast lift scars

+3

Breast lift scars can start out quite thin and then over several weeks become more pink and noticeable before the scars mature and fade in. Your scars look fine for two months of healing. The shift of your breast implants when lifting is due to the submuscular implant pocket.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast scars after Breast lift

+2

It looks like your scars are pretty normal at this early stage.  It looks from the photo like you are using an ointment on the scars.  If this is an antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin, then you should discontinue this as long as there are no open areas and the incisions are sealed.  You should move to something like a silicone gel sheeting or tape which can help the scars as they mature and lower the risk of hypertrophic (raised) scarring. i have my patients use this for about 4-5 months after a lift. 

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Breast lift scars--healing correctly?

+2

At this early stage in your recovery, your scars look like they are healing reasonably well. There are many things your surgeon might recommend along the way, like massage and silicone sheeting, that can improve the appearance along the way. As far as the shape, you will have to allow more time for the scars to mature to see the final shape. And regarding motion of the implants, it's still early in your recovery.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

+2

Your scars look typical for their stage of healing.

Patients need to be tolerant of minor differences as the healing proceeds. Remember that you didn't undergo one operation on 3.9.11, you had two separate procedures (the right breast and then the left).

Keep your followup appointments with your plastic surgeon, and all the best.

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Scars healing correctly?

+1
Your scars are healing correctly.  Your breasts will evolve quite a bit over the next six months as the swelling subsides.  At that time you should meet with your surgeon to assess your final result.

David Stoker, MD

Breast lift scars: are they healing correctly?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. It does appear that all is healing appropriately. It takes several weeks to months for your final result to be seen. It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Healing scars

+1
You are still early in the healing process, and your scars are on schedule.  They will slowly fade and improve as you heal.  Also, your implants will continue to settle with time.  Do follow your surgeon's instructions, and feel free to ask him any questions as you heal.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Wound Healing Following Breast Lift Surgery

+1

At this point in time your breasts appear to be healing nicely. It’s important to understand that wound healing is a dynamic process and changes in the breasts are inevitable in the first 3-6 months following surgery.

Changes in the size and shape of both your breasts and areolas will probably occur during this period. Your breast will become more shapely as swelling resolves and your areolas will round out as tension on the closure becomes more evenly distributed.

It’s important to understand that Benelli breast lifts are occasionally associated with severe peri-areolar scarring. This scarring occurs because of tension on the wound closure, which is usually related to the amount of excess skin removed and the amount of tissue gathering. When larger lifts are performed with peri-areolar mastopexies, there appears to be a greater incidence of severe scarring. At this point in time your peri-areolar scars appear to be healing nicely.

It’s important to consult your plastic surgeon if you’re concerned about your post-operative progress. This surgeon should be able to alleviate your concerns. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants with lift. Scar question

+1
Thank you for the photos.  It looks like the incisions are healing well at this point.  Scars will often look most red and raised at around 4 months, and better again at 10 months.  Check in with your board certified plastic surgeon as he/he may have a protocol for wound and scar care.  

Jeffrey Roth, MD