Breast Lift Scars: Are They Healing Correctly?

Please give me your expert opinion on my scars. At times I feel as though they are healing nicely then I look at my nipples and they are such odd shaped. Will I improve more as time goes by?
I had my surgery on 3.9.11, breast lift with 375cc HP implants. As you can see by the pictures my right breast has not dropped as much as my left, I am a bit worried about that due to when I work out, my right breast moves a lot more when I am lifting. (only 5 or 8 lb weights)

Breast lift scars appear to be healing normally.

You are only 8 weeks from surgery, and neither your scars nor your implants have reached their final appearance! That will take about 6-12 months, with gradual and ongoing changes along the way. Final breast shape is related to both, and as your tissues heal and stretch, and your scars mature and soften, your final results will be revealed. In most cases it's worth the wait!

Though your photos do not show significant discrepancy (particularly for this point in your recovery), an elastic bandeau worn above the "high" breast implant side and below the "low" implant side (at night only) will help to even out position differences. During the day, going braless as much as work and social activities allow will aid in implants dropping into their final position.

Implant movement exercises can help your implant pocket stay open (and the breast soft), and can in some cases help to stretch it slightly, allowing more similar movement when your chest muscles contract. Move your implant on the "tighter" side more vigorously to help stretch the capsule. Can't hurt; might help!

Vitamin E scar massage, silicone scar pads, and ultraviolet avoidance will all aid your scars in fading as much as possible. Remember, however, no matter how skilled we are in suturing your incisions, all scars are permanent. Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

#Breastlift Scars improved appearance

Thank you for your pictures.  Your scars are healing well, and you are only a few weeks from your surgery.  It can take many months for the scars to heal.  To improve the appearance, one option is silicone cream.  Silicone is one of the only proven modalities to improve scarring.  Whether it is in a strip that you stick on, or use of a silicone gel, silicone can flatten scars.  Best of luck.  Dr. Pacella

Breast scars after Breast lift

It looks like your scars are pretty normal at this early stage.  It looks from the photo like you are using an ointment on the scars.  If this is an antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin, then you should discontinue this as long as there are no open areas and the incisions are sealed.  You should move to something like a silicone gel sheeting or tape which can help the scars as they mature and lower the risk of hypertrophic (raised) scarring. i have my patients use this for about 4-5 months after a lift. 

Breast lift scars--healing correctly?

At this early stage in your recovery, your scars look like they are healing reasonably well. There are many things your surgeon might recommend along the way, like massage and silicone sheeting, that can improve the appearance along the way. As far as the shape, you will have to allow more time for the scars to mature to see the final shape. And regarding motion of the implants, it's still early in your recovery.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Your scars look typical for their stage of healing.

Patients need to be tolerant of minor differences as the healing proceeds. Remember that you didn't undergo one operation on 3.9.11, you had two separate procedures (the right breast and then the left).

Keep your followup appointments with your plastic surgeon, and all the best.

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Healing breast lift scars

Breast lift scars can start out quite thin and then over several weeks become more pink and noticeable before the scars mature and fade in. Your scars look fine for two months of healing. The shift of your breast implants when lifting is due to the submuscular implant pocket.

peterejohnsonmd

Too soon

You are still early out-your breasts take months to settle-also scars change with time-just keep your follow-up appts with your PS to make sure you are on track and voice your concerns to him

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Scars: Are They Healing Correctly

Thank you for sending your question. Your very early in your recovery from surgery.  It can take anywhere from 3-6 months for your breasts to soften and implants to drop. Be patient and give it a few months. Your scars appear normal for this early after surgery.  Discuss with your surgeon your concerns. Best wishes

Scars take at least a year to evolve

Scars go through a healing process, during which they are their most noticeable at approximately three months.  At that time they are often pink, firm, raised and can be itchy or uncomfortable.  After they evolve past that phase, they generally improve over a very long period of time.  They typically appear smoother, softer, and more pale by a year to 18 months, but can continue to improve past that time.  I would anticipate that you will continue to see improvement in many aspects of your scars during that time.  Certain interventions such as silicone bandages may help expedite this process.   It may be helpful to ask this question of your surgeon so that the specifics in your case can be addressed.

Breast lift scars

From your pictures it does appear that you have normal scars at this point. Several things you can do like use scar creams topically and massage can assist you to achieve the best result.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon