Do I Need a Lift w/ Implants If I Only Have Minor Sag to my Breast?

im 20. i have had 2 kids and have some sag to my breasts (cup size small B) but its not bad, just minor. (or thats what it looks like to me) if i get larger breast implants, will that fix the sag i have? or will i need a full lift? i really dont think i would need a full lift, just bigger sized saline implants. so yea, if the sag isnt bad bad will the bigger implants work fine?

Bi- planar breast augmentation can often compensate for minor degrees of breast ptosis

+3
Thank you for your question.  As others have stated it is necessary to examine you in person to give you an accurate answer to your question.

Generally speaking if your nipple is above the inframammary fold, the fold beneath your breast, then this sagging is called glandular ptosis and a biplanar breast augmentation may suffice without the need for a lift.

Please consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in breast lift surgery and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Lift or Implants for "Minor Sag"

+3

While increasing the volume of your breasts can help to fill your breasts, implants do not lift the breast.

If you have had some deflation of the breast, but the nipples are above the height of the breast crease and the bottom of the breast has not dropped  significantly, filling out the breast skin with more volume (breast implants) can work beautifully.

If the nipple or bottom of the breast are too low on the chest, a lift may be a better alternative.

Your plastic surgeon can make this determination for you at consultation.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Lift or implants?

+2
Probably you can use implants only to achieve your desired result, but it will depend on your nipple position.  If the nipples point downward you will also need a lift. Good luck.

David Stoker, MD

Lift or no lift?

+2

It would completely depend on how much excess skin you have and wear that skin is in relation to the crease beneath your breasts.   If it is above, you may not need a lift.  If most of your breast is below the crease, you will probably need to consider a lift.  Another way to try and figure this out is to look at yourself in a mirror.  Do you see any breast skin beneath your areola? or is the areola at the bottom of the breast when you look at the reflection.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Breast Lift or Just Breast Implants

+1
Your answer is all about a combination of how perky you would prefer after surgery, the shape of your breast, elasticity of your skin, density of your breasts, and other factors. An examination by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who can guide you is what is needed the most at this point. See the below link on how to choose your best plastic surgeon.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Lift or no lift

+1
It sounds to me that given your breast size and the fact that your sagging is mild, I feel that a fair sized implant would correct the sagging as well as enlarge your breasts.

Fred Suess, MD

Need a Lift w/ Implants If I Only Have Minor Sag

+1
In general, we consider lifting when the nipple is at the level of or below the level of the fold beneath the breast.  Sometimes, following either weight loss or changes following pregnancies, one loses the fullness in the superior part of the breast which can make the breast appear as if it is sagging. But the nipple is still above the fold. In this situation, implants alone may suffice. Occasionally, one's anatomy may be suitable for augmentation only if the nipple is at the level or just below the crease. One of the dual plane approaches may be indicated. Your plastic surgeon should be able to give you the pros and cons of the various options after a good consultation and exam. Good luck.

George Volpe, MD

Breast implants without lift

+1
While your breasts are moderately sagging you may be able to get away with implants alone. The best breast implants to use should have a more cohesive texture, such as the Allergan Inspira Truform 2. These implants are slightly firmer but still feel natural. Also, choose something with a more narrow base width to increase projection.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Larger Implants vs Breast Lift

+1
This is a very common question in my practice here in South Florida. I would start with the statement if you need a lift you need a lift. Having a larger implant can lift the nipple about a cm or so. Unfortunately many patients are under the impression that they can just put a really large implant and avoid a lift.
It is impossible to tell whether you are someone that would get a good result with an augmentation alone or with some type of lift without pictures.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there are several types of lifts that are possible from a periareolar lift, vertical and full anchor mastopexy. This gives your surgeon several options to help you receive the best possible result with the least amount of scars.

I would just be very cautious about placing a larger implant with the sole intention of avoiding a lift. If you want bigger breasts that is fine but don’t trade one problem for another.

Johnny Franco, MD

Bi-Planar Breast Augmentation for Patients with Mild Breast Sag

+1

Breast lift surgery can frequently be avoided in patients with mild breast sag by performing a bi planer breast augmentation. This procedure partially separates the breast tissue from the underlying muscles. This maneuver allows breast tissue to spread evenly over the breast implant and helps avoid breast lift surgery and its associated scarring.

Bi planer breast lifts are only effective when minimal breast sag is present. When breast sag is moderate to severe, a breast lift variant is usually necessary.

It’s virtually impossible to recommend a specific procedure without performing a physical exam or evaluating pictures. It’s therefore important to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon with experience performing this procedure. This surgeon should be able to make an appropriate recommendation. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon