Do I Need a Lift w/ Implants If I Only Have Minor Sag to my Breast?

im 20. i have had 2 kids and have some sag to my breasts (cup size small B) but its not bad, just minor. (or thats what it looks like to me) if i get larger breast implants, will that fix the sag i have? or will i need a full lift? i really dont think i would need a full lift, just bigger sized saline implants. so yea, if the sag isnt bad bad will the bigger implants work fine?

Bi- planar breast augmentation can often compensate for minor degrees of breast ptosis

+2
Thank you for your question.  As others have stated it is necessary to examine you in person to give you an accurate answer to your question.

Generally speaking if your nipple is above the inframammary fold, the fold beneath your breast, then this sagging is called glandular ptosis and a biplanar breast augmentation may suffice without the need for a lift.

Please consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in breast lift surgery and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Lift or Implants for "Minor Sag"

+2

While increasing the volume of your breasts can help to fill your breasts, implants do not lift the breast.

If you have had some deflation of the breast, but the nipples are above the height of the breast crease and the bottom of the breast has not dropped  significantly, filling out the breast skin with more volume (breast implants) can work beautifully.

If the nipple or bottom of the breast are too low on the chest, a lift may be a better alternative.

Your plastic surgeon can make this determination for you at consultation.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Lift or no lift?

+2

It would completely depend on how much excess skin you have and wear that skin is in relation to the crease beneath your breasts.   If it is above, you may not need a lift.  If most of your breast is below the crease, you will probably need to consider a lift.  Another way to try and figure this out is to look at yourself in a mirror.  Do you see any breast skin beneath your areola? or is the areola at the bottom of the breast when you look at the reflection.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Breast implants without lift

+1
95% of my patients who have been properly selected for this are satisfied with the amount of lift they achieve with implants. The right implants and technique can help you address mild to moderate sagging with breast augmentation alone, by taking into account the size you'd like to be and the amount of lift you require during the pre-surgery planning process.

These three things are considered to help give you the extra lift you require to make your breasts “perkier” without mastopexy:

1) During your breast augmentation, the breast implants will be placed directly under the breast tissue and above the chest wall muscle (in the sub-mammary position).

2) The best breast implants to use for a perkier result contain silicone gel that is more cohesive, such as the Allergan Inspira Truform 2 (formerly known as Soft-Touch gel). These implants are slightly firmer to maintain their shape better, but still retain their natural feel.

3) The shape of your breast implants should have more, rather than less, projection. Breast implants with a smaller base width will make your breasts project more forward from your chest wall and body, creating a more prominent contour. “Profile” is a synonym for projection, therefore look for high profile implants.

Generally speaking, larger breast implants can also help give a better lift, sometimes raising the position of the nipple by one or two centimetres.

Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to find out whether you are a suitable candidate. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Larger Implants vs Breast Lift

+1
This is a very common question in my practice here in South Florida. I would start with the statement if you need a lift you need a lift. Having a larger implant can lift the nipple about a cm or so. Unfortunately many patients are under the impression that they can just put a really large implant and avoid a lift.
It is impossible to tell whether you are someone that would get a good result with an augmentation alone or with some type of lift without pictures.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there are several types of lifts that are possible from a periareolar lift, vertical and full anchor mastopexy. This gives your surgeon several options to help you receive the best possible result with the least amount of scars.

I would just be very cautious about placing a larger implant with the sole intention of avoiding a lift. If you want bigger breasts that is fine but don’t trade one problem for another.

Lift or implants?

+1
Probably you can use implants only to achieve your desired result, but it will depend on your nipple position.  If the nipples point downward you will also need a lift. Good luck.

David Stoker, MD

Bi-Planar Breast Augmentation for Patients with Mild Breast Sag

+1

Breast lift surgery can frequently be avoided in patients with mild breast sag by performing a bi planer breast augmentation. This procedure partially separates the breast tissue from the underlying muscles. This maneuver allows breast tissue to spread evenly over the breast implant and helps avoid breast lift surgery and its associated scarring.

Bi planer breast lifts are only effective when minimal breast sag is present. When breast sag is moderate to severe, a breast lift variant is usually necessary.

It’s virtually impossible to recommend a specific procedure without performing a physical exam or evaluating pictures. It’s therefore important to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon with experience performing this procedure. This surgeon should be able to make an appropriate recommendation. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Treating a little breast sag.

+1
Hard to tell without photos. If the desire is for upper pole fullness, the usual way to do that is with an implant. The implant does not necessarily have to be large. If you need or want volume, then a larger implant will help.  Nipple/areola positioning is a different matter and may necessitate more work, (i.e.; a lift).  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon. Discuss your goals. Together you will come up with a plan.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Breast Lifting Needed?

+1

Physical examination will be necessary to give you good advice. What you describe as “minor sag"  may or may not require some breast lifting to improve. Upon examination, experienced plastic surgeons can tell you definitively whether you will be okay without breast lifting. This examination focuses on the position of the nipple/areolas in relation to the inframammary folds  and the degree of loose skin ( and skin elasticity issues)  along the lower poles  of the breasts.

In regards to breast size, it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.

Avoid the temptation to go with larger implants than you will be comfortable with to avoid the need for breast lifting.

Lift or augment

+1
Without photographs, we are all speaking in a vacuum but assuming that your breasts have just a little ptosis, or sagging, then an implant may elevate the breasts sufficiently so that a lift would not be necessary. An important factor is whether your skin is lax; if so, it may require resection. Definitely see a plastic surgeon who performs both procedures regularly for an examination and discussion of your options.

Robert L. Kraft, MD