Stinging Pain Normal 17 Days After Breast Augmentation?

I had Breast augmentation with placement under the muscle and a vertical lift all at the same time 17 days ago, I'm still having pain on each side of the breast and alot of sensitivity like stinging sensation is this common and how long does it usually last?

Nipple sensitivity is not unusual following breast surgery

+2

An increase in nipple sensitivity is not uncommon after breast surgery. This is due to irritation of the nerves that supply sensation to this area. The nerves arise between the ribs and run over the muscle, through the breast tissue to supply the nipple and areola. The implant, since it is under the path for the nerve, frequently puts the nerve on a stretch. This causing a bruise type injury to the nerve and will sometimes cause these symptoms. It is termed a dysesthesia or hyperesthesia. It is generally self limited. Gentle massage of the nipple and areola can be beneficial. Also massage of the lateral side of the breast can help. On occasion medications or injections are needed. Give it time and most likely it will resolve.

This is normal

+2

What you are describing sounds normal for some patients but not most.  Best to go back to your doctor for a quick check-up and some reassurance that all is fine.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Sensitivity after breast surgery

+1

It is normal to have discomfort after breast augmentation with breast lift.  The discomfort can come and go for the first 1-2 months.  It is unlikely do be debilitating 1 week after surgery.  Please discuss concerns with your surgeon.

Dennis Dass, MD

Pain after Breast Augmentation Surgery

+1

You may have pain related to irritation of your nerves. Neuropathic pain or nerve related pain maybe caused by irritation or scar tissue or maybe a pressure related phenomenon. Rest assure, there are several treatments for pain due to breast implants. If you do have pain, begin massage to the area of pain to help desensitize the area. If at least 6 months and preferably 12 months have passed after your breast implant surgery, some modalities that may help resolve your pain are:

1. Local Steroid injection to area of pinpoint pain

2. Flector transdermal NSAID patch

3. Intercostal nerve block

You should consult with your plastic surgeon to determine what is most appropriate for you and your particular signs and symptoms. Good Luck, Ankit Desai, MD - Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation: stinging pain

+1

If the pain is on both sides and even, it is most likley the nerves being stretched and recovering from the surgery.

Fun in the sun

+1

Marie,

I'm glad that you are able to recover in sunny hawaii.  The symptoms that you describe are not at all uncommon 17 days following breast augmentation and lift.  I inform my patients that it may take 3-6 months for sensation symptoms to resolve.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Sensitivity issues after breast implants

+1

The breasts will often feel "funny" after breast augmentation. This sensitivity issue may last a few weeks until the body gets used to the implants and the stretched tissue has relaxed. 

Stinging sensation is normal and will go away

+1

I tell my patients that it is normal to experience some stinging sensation, burning sensation or shooting pain sensation as the sensory nerves are coming back to normal function. Now, there should not be continuous stinging or pain. If that is the case, you need to see your surgeon. Occassionally a patient also experiences nipple hypersensitivity after surgery. This can be very annoying and unpleasant. I have the patient gentle massage or rub the nipples (a little lotion helps) to help them get desensitized. In about one month, nipple sensation will get back to normal.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

These stinging pains are not unusual and will resolve

+1

It is quite frequent for patients who have under gone breast implants to have these stinging pains in their breast for several weeks after surgery. They will almost always go away on their own. There is nothing to worry about and not much you can do to make them go away any faster. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD