Stinging Pain Normal 17 Days After Breast Augmentation?

I had Breast augmentation with placement under the muscle and a vertical lift all at the same time 17 days ago, I'm still having pain on each side of the breast and alot of sensitivity like stinging sensation is this common and how long does it usually last?

Nipple sensitivity is not unusual following breast surgery

+2

An increase in nipple sensitivity is not uncommon after breast surgery. This is due to irritation of the nerves that supply sensation to this area. The nerves arise between the ribs and run over the muscle, through the breast tissue to supply the nipple and areola. The implant, since it is under the path for the nerve, frequently puts the nerve on a stretch. This causing a bruise type injury to the nerve and will sometimes cause these symptoms. It is termed a dysesthesia or hyperesthesia. It is generally self limited. Gentle massage of the nipple and areola can be beneficial. Also massage of the lateral side of the breast can help. On occasion medications or injections are needed. Give it time and most likely it will resolve.

This is normal

+2

What you are describing sounds normal for some patients but not most.  Best to go back to your doctor for a quick check-up and some reassurance that all is fine.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Stinging pain normal 17 days after breast augmentation?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Your symptoms sound like your nerves regenerating. Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts. With any breast procedure there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7% for lift/reductions and much smaller for breast augmentation. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk. It can take up to a year for full sensation to return. Re-educating your nerves to these areas by using different textures when showering and putting on lotion often helps.  Your description sounds typical for your nerves regenerating.

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Stinging pain after augmentation?

+1
Dear MS,
Thank you for your post. In general, most women who have a disturbance in nipple sensation, whether it be less (hypo-sensation), or in some cases too much (hyper-sensation), the sensation goes back to normal with 3-6 months. Occasionally, it can take 1 - 2 years to be normal. Extremely rare, the sensation never goes back to normal. This is extremely rare in augmentation alone, more common in lift or reduction but less with a smaller lift like a crescent lift. Signs that sensation is coming back are needle type sensation at the nipple, itchiness at the nipple, or 'zingers' to the nipple. The number of women that lose sensation is much lower than 10%, closer to 1% in a simple augmentation. In some cases the same occurs with contraction where some women have no contraction and some women have a constant contraction of the nipples. Unfortunately there is no surgical correction for this. Massaging the area can help sensation normalize faster if it is going to normalize, but will not help if the nerve does not recover. In women with hyper-sensitive nipples, this will go away with time in most cases. Usually 3 months or so. In the interim, I have them wear nipple covers or 'pasties' to protect them from rubbing. It is unlikely that down-sizing the implant will cause regaining sensation. Down-sizing the implant may cause saggy breasts, however, and may necessitate a breast lift. Physical therapy with de-sensitivity techniques can help with this issue.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Sensitivity after breast surgery

+1

It is normal to have discomfort after breast augmentation with breast lift.  The discomfort can come and go for the first 1-2 months.  It is unlikely do be debilitating 1 week after surgery.  Please discuss concerns with your surgeon.

Dennis Dass, MD

Pain after Breast Augmentation Surgery

+1

You may have pain related to irritation of your nerves. Neuropathic pain or nerve related pain maybe caused by irritation or scar tissue or maybe a pressure related phenomenon. Rest assure, there are several treatments for pain due to breast implants. If you do have pain, begin massage to the area of pain to help desensitize the area. If at least 6 months and preferably 12 months have passed after your breast implant surgery, some modalities that may help resolve your pain are:

1. Local Steroid injection to area of pinpoint pain

2. Flector transdermal NSAID patch

3. Intercostal nerve block

You should consult with your plastic surgeon to determine what is most appropriate for you and your particular signs and symptoms. Good Luck, Ankit Desai, MD - Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation: stinging pain

+1

If the pain is on both sides and even, it is most likley the nerves being stretched and recovering from the surgery.

Fun in the sun

+1

Marie,

I'm glad that you are able to recover in sunny hawaii.  The symptoms that you describe are not at all uncommon 17 days following breast augmentation and lift.  I inform my patients that it may take 3-6 months for sensation symptoms to resolve.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Sensitivity issues after breast implants

+1

The breasts will often feel "funny" after breast augmentation. This sensitivity issue may last a few weeks until the body gets used to the implants and the stretched tissue has relaxed. 

Stinging sensation is normal and will go away

+1

I tell my patients that it is normal to experience some stinging sensation, burning sensation or shooting pain sensation as the sensory nerves are coming back to normal function. Now, there should not be continuous stinging or pain. If that is the case, you need to see your surgeon. Occassionally a patient also experiences nipple hypersensitivity after surgery. This can be very annoying and unpleasant. I have the patient gentle massage or rub the nipples (a little lotion helps) to help them get desensitized. In about one month, nipple sensation will get back to normal.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon