After having silicone breast implants (280cc on right side, 350 on left) approximately 4 weeks ago, I'm still sore; is this normal? Thank you for your help.
Swelling 4 Weeks After Breast Augmentation Normal?
Doctor Answers 6
Swelling can be normal after breast implants
Recovery after breast implant surgery varies quite a bit. Soreness from side to side is frequently different. If you had previous breast surgery, it is very common for the previously operated breast to be more sore than the other one. Your surgeon should still be following you as this sorts itself out.
Swelling After Breast Augmentation
- Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
- Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
- A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
- Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
- Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
- You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Swelling can last for months after Augmentation.
You might also like...
Pain 4 weeks after breast augmentation
Pain after breast augmentation can vary from one individual to another. We generally are more concerned with pain associated with swelling, redness, warmth, or other inflammatory processes.
How long does soreness last after breast augmentation
I'm sure this is a normal part of your recovery. It is not unusual at all to have soreness even 4 weeks after surgery, especially if the implants were placed underneath the pectoral muscle. Massaging helps and so does not over-exerting yourself.
Recovery after Breast Implant
In order to know whether the soreness you are still having 4 weeks after your breast augmentation is within the limits of a normal recovery or something you should be concerned about, some important details need to be understood. These details, such as whether your implants are under or over your chest muscles, the surgical technique, your recovery so far, what your exam has been like so far in your recovery, your activity level so far, and particularly recently, are best understood by the surgeon who performed your procedure.
Your best bet is to contact his/her office and discuss this with them, and possibly pay a visit to the office for an exam.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.