Do Silicone Breast Implants Feel Heavier Than Saline Breast Implants?

I'm trying to decide between saline implants and silicone implants, but I've heard that even though silicone are supposed to look more natural, they feel way heavier than saline. Is that true?

VIDEO (Click HERE) Do Silicone Breast Implants Feel Heavier Than Saline Breast Implants?

+2

I have weighed these on a scale and they are virtually identical in weight with the silicone slightly less than the saline.

Saline or silicone breast implants?

+1

The weights of the implants are almost identical.

Saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.

Some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more natural result.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants. Also, many saline implants can be adjusted after surgery. The doctor can use a syringe to put in more liquid or take it out. The size of standard pre-filled silicone implants cannot be changed.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

Weight comparison of saline vs silicone implants

+1

I have been asked the difference in weight between saline vs silicone implants in the past and thus took the time to weigh them myself.

Implants of the same volume, whether they are saline or silicone were indistinguishable on our scale.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Differences between silicone and saline breast implants.

+1

Hi!

1) Silicone breast implants do not feel heavier.

2) Silicone implants in general feel more natural.

3) I have a lot of patients with saline implants who are very happy. So both are fine.

4) Saline implants can be put into the breasts through a shorter scar.

5} It is much easier to tell if a saline implant is leaking.

6) You may find the breast augmentation page on my web site useful.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Gel versus saline implants

+1

Gel implants weight the exact same amount as the saline implant of the same size.  Gel implants are usually softer and feel more natural.  Saline ruptures are easier to detect if there is  problem.

Weight of the implants is not an issue between gel and saline

+1

There is no need to take into account implant weight when deciding between silicone gel and saline implants.  Base your decision on other factors.  Of course, the bigger the implants, the heavier they are but this is true of both gel and saline.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Silicone breast implants not heavier than saline breast implants

+1

Absolutely NOT.

Silicone's specific gravity is 0.97 compared to water 's (IE saline)which is 1.0. This means that 100 cc of saline weight 100 grams while the SAME volume of silicone gel weighs 97 grams. As the implants get heavier, silicone implants are somewhat LIGHTER than same volume saline implants.

In addition, silicone gel implants ripple LESS than saline implants as well.

I hope this was helpful.

The silicone gel and saline implants are about the same weight,

+1

Both the saline and silicone gel implants are about the same weight which is about the same weight as normal breast tissue. The gel seems to be a little lighter since they float in saline.

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Silicone and saline implants weigh about the same

+1

Silicone and saline implants weigh about the same. Silicone may be slightly heavier but not enough that you would recognize a difference. I would choose your implant based on which will give you the best aesthetic result.