Will Breast Implants Ruin a Tattoo on Upper Rib Cage?

I want to get a tattoo on my upper rib cage (3 inches below my armpit), but I am worried that when I get breast implants ( from A to full C), that it'll ruin my tattoo. I am thinking of getting implants next year and would like to get the tattoo now. Should I worry about this and not get the tattoo until after the implants?

Implants Before Tattoo

+2

Get the breast augmentation (implants) first.  The change in the shape and contour of your chest may influence your decision regarding tattoo placement.

Allow about 6 weeks after the breast augmentation before having the tattoo.  Be sure to ask your surgeon if you're healed well enough for tattooing.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Its like stretching a canvas

+1

You should wait to get the tattoo. It has the potential to spread after breast augmentation due to skin stretch (like stretching a canvas).

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo May Appear Larger After Breast Augmentation

+1

If you receive a tattoo in the upper breast area, and then undergo a breast augmentation at some point, then chances are that the tattoo will get a little larger.  However, unless you go with a very large implant for your tissues, I doubt it would alter it very much.  Many women have a tattoo in the area before augmentation, and they still look good without any significant change in the design, color, etc.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo effects following breast augmentation

+1

It is difficult to predict the effects of breast augmentation on a tattoo.  Sometimes tattoos will move or stretch in response to a breast augmentation.  I would suggest waiting until after the augmentation to get a tattoo.  This will allow you to more accurately define its position and avoid a potentially unfavorable aesthetic outcome with respect to tattoo colors stretching or appearing to fade.

Good luck!

Jason R. Hess, MD

Tattoo before or after breast implants

+1

IT is possible will "pull" the tattoo onto the breast. This is called skin creep. IF this is a major concern, I would defer the tattoo unitl you get the breast implants.

Tattoo Prior to Breast Augmentation

+1

You should definitely wait.  You want to know exactly how you will look before you get a ta too.  The breast augmentation will most likely cause the skin to stretch and can in turn make your tattoo look distorted.  It is primarily your decision but I think if you are going to make such an investment in your body, you will want the best results possible. Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Implants and Tattoo

+1

Do your implants first becasue you will see you body differently afterwards.  The anticipated location of the tattoo will probably change completely after the implants are in place.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Ruin a Tattoo on Upper Rib Cage

+1

Do the implants FIRST than the tattooing after 3 weeks of healing. Why take the chance of deforming the art by a latyer implantation??? From MIAMI DR. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Tatto on chest with augmentation

+1

If you are having the impaltns plasce transaxillary it may interfere with the incision location. Why not jsut do the tattoo after surgery?

Tattoo on chest before or after implants?

+1

Having breast implants does change how the skin sits lateral to the breast (towards the underarm and back), so I would wait to get your tattoo until after you've had the breast implants placed. 

Carmen Kavali, MD