Can I Have a Breast Implant if I Have Thoracic Outlet Compression Syndrome?

I'm 18 years old and I was diagnosed with TOCS and have two ribs removed. I was wondering if I can still have a breast implant and if this would put me in Amy danger if I did have the surgery?

Breast implants with thoracic outlet syndrome

+3

It should be possible to do a breast augmentation procedure in a patient who has had surgery for a thoracic outlet syndrome.

The presence of an existing scar may make the surgeon want to change slightly the choice of implants, especially if there is a deformity caused by the thoracic outlet surgery.

Breast augmentation should not be a problem after thoracic outlet syndrone

+2

While think it would be a good idea to have your plastic surgeon check with your thoracic surgeon first, I doubt there is any contraindication to having breast enlargement, breast augmentation after you had bilateral rib removal for thoracic outlet syndrome. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Breast implants with Thoracic outlet compression sydrome: try sizing bra on for a day

+1

In some patients with large breasts their bra straps can cause downward displascement of the shoulder girdle with effects on the scalene muscles. I would try a bra with sizers in them comparable to your  implants and wear it for a day or two and you will know.

it's very unlikely you would get any problems from a breast implant but it would probably be best not to have it inserted via t

+1

This is a very good question on balance I think it's very unlikely you would get any problems from a breast implant but it would probably be best not to have it inserted via the armpit route.

This is because the same nerves which affects thoracic outlet syndrome also travel down in this area and it would be best avoid any treatment in this region.

A breast implant inserted by a other incision through the nipple or in the fold under the nipple should however be absolutely fine and should not affect your TOCS.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant if I Have Thoracic Outlet Compression Syndrome?

+1

Yes with a full written thoracic clearance. Without this I would not operate. It helps you realize there are increased risks in your situation. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091 

Yes

+1

I've done several breast augmentation surgeries with no change in the symptoms of Thoracic Outlet Syndorme.

Donald Kress, MD
Frederick Plastic Surgeon