When Do Breast Implants "Drop" or Fall into Place?

I just came back from my 1 week check up, and my breast implants have not yet dropped. They are so high that they are not even covering my regular breasts. Doctor says that I have to massage them and they will drop. Is this right? I was so flat-chested that now I seem so big or swollen on top, by my chest bone, and small elsewhere. When do they start falling into place?

Usually takes 3-4months

+5

It is very common for your implants to seem high immediately after surgery - specially with swelling causing further distortion. Once the swelling resolves and your tissues soften and stretch in the lower part of the breast, the implant will settle into your breasts. That typically happens after about 3months. Be patient and the massage techniques will help and keep you involved in your recovery.

It takes 6-8 weeks to see some and 4-6 months for all of it

+5

Implants will descend over weeks to months. Each patient is different and each surgeon's technique is different. The fullness of the implant chosen for you will also determine how quickly you see the implants settle in. You are way too early to worry. Stick close to your doctor and work with them through the process.

Breast implants 'settle' after 4-6 weeks

+4

It takes 4-6 weeks for your breast implants to 'settle'. There are many factors involved, including the tightness of your brest skin, envelope, the size and profile of your implant, the surface of the implant, and whether your implants were placed entirely under the muscle or partially under the muscle.

In reality, it is not that the implants have to 'move' down or 'settle', it's just that the lower pole of the breast tissue and skin needs to expand. Be patient.

When do implants start to fall.

+2

You are very early in the post operative course.  Typically implants start to drop at three weeks.  It may take 6 months to a year for them to settle into place.  Please continue to let your plastic surgeon know your concerns.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/breast-augmentation

Implants settle into place after surgery

+2

When breast implants are placed under the muscle for the first time, they usually look very high and create a big bulge in the upper chest. The muscle and skin have to take time to stretch out to accommodate the new implant under it, and there is also swelling at the beginning.

What you finally end up with is not what you see right after surgery. Sometimes if your skin is very tight it can take as long as six months to completely settle down, but usually it takes about half that time (2 to 3 months). You can often begin to see changes starting in about 10 days. Don’t worry about it. This is a normal process.

Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Breasts will look significantly different post op.

+2

It usually takes up to 6 months for breasts implants to settle.  Make sure you do any implant massages if you were instructed. 

Implants Drop When Swelling Subsides

+1

The period of time immediately following breast augmentation surgery is characterized by rapid change. During this dynamic phase of; healing, swelling, muscle spasm and the healing process itself, all contribute to changes in the appearance of a women’s breast. In some cases, swelling and muscle spasm can displace the breast implants in a superior direction.

When swelling and muscle spasm resolve, the implants will drop into a more normal position. This can be facilitated by performing implant displacement exercises. Significant progress can be seen in four to six weeks, but changes can be expected up to six months following surgery.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

+1
Thank you for the question; congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. As you know, is much too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed. It is most likely that you will find that you will not have “forever high breasts”. Generally speaking, when breast augmentation is performed a “pocket” is created.  Depending on the size  and position of the breast implant pockets  dissected,  as well as the size of the breast implant used,  it may take some time for the breast implants to “settle” into the dissected pocket.  This process may be referred to as “dropping and fluffing”.  It may  require 3 to 6 months to occur.  at this point, although easier said than done, I would suggest ongoing patience;  you will find that time and patience will be your "best friends" over the next several weeks/months. Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Breast Implants "dropping" into place

+1
It takes 3-4 months for your Breast Implants to drop or settle into place. You may still see further changes to your breasts up to 6 months post operatively.  It is perfectly normal for your breasts to look swollen on top at this point in time. You are still very early in the process. Be patient and follow the advice of your Plastic Surgeon. They will guide you through the process.

Best regards,
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Time for breast implants to drop

+1
The final results are mostly present including "dropping of the implant"  when implants are below the muscle within the first 3 months for most and certainly by a year.

Web reference: https://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/breast/augmentation/