Breast Implants to Minimize Gap Between Breasts on a Wide Chest?

I have a pretty wide BWD (about 16-18 cm as far as I have measured) and am shooting for a natural 36C-D look, I am currently a small 36B with a fair amount of breast tissue.

I absolutely do not want the 'beach ball' look - hoping to balance out my hips and be done buying different size tops and bottoms when it comes to my overall proportions. Will my cc's have to be super high to accommodate mod/mod+ silicone unders & the width of my chest?

The high cc's that correspond with wider diameters are a bit intimidating!

Natural appearing breast augmentation

+2

Unfortunately the most commonly used type of implants (high profile) and the most common type of placement ( submuscular/dual plane) cannot deliver the natural 'tear drop' effect or cleavage that you desire.  Leaving the origination of the pectoralis major medially intact in submuscular placement ensures that the implant cannot be medial enough to look natural, and a flat plateau is left centrally.  There are also big problems associated with anatomic implants placed in conventional planes( they work well in subfascial carefully designed pockets).  This is why I use a very unique methof of breast augmentation that I call 'cold-subfascial augmantation.'  the placement of the implants is not 'above the muscle' or subglandular, nor is it submuscular or dual plane.  A very strong layer of connective tissue is meticulously and atraumatically dissected from the pectoralis major muscle and this tissue is used to shape and support a lower profile implant into a gentle tear drop shape.  It is the surgical dissection and not the implant itself that gives shape to the breasts.  The results sit like natural breasts and do not move like submuscular implants do with arm motion.  The fascia also supports the implant giving it relative protection from gravity and aging.  

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Breast Implants and cleavage gap

+2

Joanienicole,

Thanks for the question. There are several factors which come into play when determining the ideal fit of an implant for a particular body habitus. These include base width, amount of native breast tissue, soft-tissue pinch width, nipple-inframmamary fold distance, and soft-tissue laxity. Additionally, studies have shown that, in general, ?implants larger than 350 ccs induce predictable negative consequences over time on the tissues of the breast. Its a good idea to keep that in mind when undergoing a breast augmentation.

I would find it hard to believe that you BW is actually as high as you state. I recommend you have a consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon who is well versed and experienced in breast augmentation surgery. Ask plenty of questions are review all possible options, including implant sizes. There is an ideal implant size for your body which will balance your proportions without giving you the "beach ball" look.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Breast implants

+1

16-18 sounds a little high from looking at your photo. But an experienced plastic surgeon should be able to give you an idea of the cc's you would need to get to the size you want.

David E. Kim, MD

Breast implant sizing

+1

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.
4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast Width

+1

Dear Joan, You have beautiful shape to your breasts and I would think and implant in the 350 to 400 cc range may well meet your goals but I have not examined you. I doubt that your breast base width is actually 16to 18 cm. How tall are you and how much do you weigh? i can understand your anxiety about implant size if these are accurate measurements. Who measured your breasts?

Richard Linderman, MD

Breast Width and Implant Size

+1

Judging by your photos, I would say that your measurements are not correct and you do not have that wide of base diameter.

To achieve good cleavage I usually recommend going with a breast implant that matches the base diameter. This tend to usually be a moderate profile in saline implants and moderate plus in silicone implants. These implants provide a softer and more natural look with good upper pole fullness and good cleavage.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

You should be able to achieve a natural, balanced look with a modest implant

+1

A modestly sized implant placed underneath the muscle and with partial release of the muscle fibers medially will provide a nice overall shape with a natural transition in the upper pole of your breast. I encourage patients to try on implants during the preoperative evaluation, and this helps them choose an appropriate size, and to have a better idea of the final result. Avoid an excessively large implant as I think that this would create a distinctly artificial appearance. You have a minor breast asymmetry (your left nipple and crease are lower than your right) so expect some difference after surgery.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

The cleavage or breast separation is built into your body naturally

+1

The cleavage or breast separation is built into your body naturally. The separation of your breasts with implants (which are best placed under the muscle) are dependent on your natural separation of your muscles. Looking at your pictures, I would say that your separation is ideal. If you put in implants under the muscle in the 330 cc range, you will go up a cup size, but keep a natural looking appearance.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Breast Implants For Fuller Natural Cleavage

+1

I believe you are a good candidate for breast augmentation. I prefer the dual plane (aka split muscle technique) for my breast augmentation procedures. I believe you have achieve a nice soft natural look avoiding what you call "the beach ball" look. Implant selection will be very important as well. I'm glad your surgeon is considering your base width (chest wall dimension). I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast Implant size

+1

You are on the right track. As a general rule, the impants get larger by increasing diameter of the implant more than projection. A 36" chest is not terribly large, but still will need a larger implant.

Remember that silicone implants also, as a general rule, will give less projection than a similar sized saline implant. The appearance also "looks" softer. Don't be intimidated by the cc's. Try sizers on to see for yourself the effect.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD