Lower Vs Higher Cc for High Profile Silicone Breast Implants?

I am a month away from getting a breast augmentation. I am 5'6 1/2", 112 lbs, 27" around my rib cage have an A cup and wish to have a C cup. My surgeon has recommended high profile silicone implants for me as I am very narrow. I am still deciding between 350 cc and 375 cc implants and I am getting really stressed out by this. To my understanding, high profiles stick out more and may result in larger looking breasts. Should I then go with the 350 cc implants for a more natural look?

Difference between 350 cc and 375 cc is minimal

+2

I think that you have done your homework! You have spent a lot of time providing a narrow range of choices for your plastic surgeon. Now, step back and trust him. The difference between 350 and 375 cc is just 7%. Consider that you may have another 200 cc of natural tissue, so you are really debating between 550 and 575 cc, which is just a 4% difference.

At this point, I would recommend finding some photos of "ideal" breasts and handing them to your surgeon. Your doctor can use those as a reference during the surgery, and let him make the final choice.

Also, I generally err on the side of bigger. About 1 out of 10 patients returns to my office 1 year after surgery, and says, "Yes, you spent a lot of time with me. We invested a ton of effort into choosing the right size. And, I'm thrilled....But I wouldn't mind being a 1/2 cup-size bigger."

(I never hear the reverse: "I wish I were smaller." Doesn't happen!)

So, all else being equal, choose 375 cc.

Ventura Plastic Surgeon

Implant size and angst

+2

First take a deep breath, it will be fine.

Now let me tell you something. Many women come to me and really stress between one size and the next size implant. When you think about it, 25 cc's is slightly less than a shot glass, and slightly less than a couple of tablespoons. NOT a lot of difference. When implanted, the size difference will be even more muted due to all of the tissue above them.

I would recommend that you visit your surgeon and try both sizes on and see how you llike them.

The fact of the matter is that if you are that close, either size will likely be fine for you.

Good luck.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

High Profile breast implants

+2

Choosing an implant depends upon numerous factors including your normal anatomy, and the size that you desire. Anatomical limitations include the ability of the tissue to stretch, the skin laxity, the underlying skeletal structure, and the native breast tissue just to name a few. 25 cc's will not make a diffierence.

When in doubt, smaller breast implants are better.

+2

Hi.

1)  This is the most common type of question.  I wrote an article for RealSelf with tips on picking breast implants.  You can read it in my profile.

2)  The link below may be helpful.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Proper Implant Selection

+1

Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection to replace an in office exam and good communication with a board certified plastic surgeon.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Sizing Before Your Surgery

+1

There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.
Dr. Sugene Kim

Sugene Kim, MD

Breast implant size/type?

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

High profile breast implants and the natural versus "fake" look

+1

The 25 cc difference you discuss is really not a significant amount. To put this in proper context, it is less than 2 tablespoons and is probably less than the amount of breast swelling you experience with your menstrual cycles. Given your height and low body weight as well as your narrow chest diameter, I would also recommend a high profile implant.

It is also important to understand that a high profile silicone is not as high/round as a high profile saline which have developed the appearance you describe. I commonly use high profile SILICONE in thin patients and have been pleased with the contour. However, high profile SALINE in small breasted, low body fat patients have a greater likelihood of being more prominent.

25 cc represents no difference between implants

+1

If you have a narrow chest and minimal breast tissue, a high profile implnt can give you a very nice result.  There is virtually no difference between a 325 and a 350 HP implant other than that the 350's will sit just a little closer to eachother in the midline.  No need to stress! 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Discuss your breast implant concerns with your surgeon

+1

Please go back to your surgeon and discuss your concerns until you are satisfied with the answers. Over the internet without photos we can NOT give a realistic recommendation. Best of luck!