Risks of Allergic Reaction to Breast Implants?

I have very sensitive skin and have to be careful what products I use on my skin. For example Hair colours burn my scalp and skin so cannot dye my hair, cannot wear earrings as they irritate my ears and go red and sore...certain products dry my skin and cause it to go red. My question is, I am having a Breast Augmentation in 2 weeks and I'm worried I will have a reaction to them. Should I be concerned?

No risks of allergic reaction to Breast Implants

+2

Easy answer NO! It would be like you winning the powerball 3 times in a row. Go ahead and get the implants. Are you looking for an excuse or just information on a unlikely risk? Go "full steam ahead." 

Allergy to Breast Implants - Fiction

+2

It is a VERY sad commentary on American society that the most heavily researched devices in American history have been breast implants.

While, as a Plastic surgeon, I feel they are important, Breast implants are NOT MORE important than heart valves, implantable defibrillators, pacemakers, artificial joints and hundreds of other life-saving devices. And yet - in large part due to our well-fed, well-connected and politically subsidized parasitic legal cartel (American Association of Trial Lawyers now a warmer fuzzier America Justice Institute0, breast implants were maligned and many companies were destroyed with lawsuits fed on junk science.

Once billions were spent on thoroughly understanding breast implants more than any other medical endeavor, it is clear that - they do NOT cause cancer, autoimmune disease, affect fetuses and infants etc etc.

Since Silicon (Si) is of the same family as we are (remember Carbon (C) 14 on the Table of elements?? Look just underneath it. Polymers of Si form glass, form sand and form Silicone gel or the breast implant shell. Every syringe in the world is lubricated with silicone allowing its piston to glide within it and propel the medication into us (This results in Diabetics who must have Insulin having high levels of silicone in their blood - WHERE then are the alleged allergic reactions or autoimmune diseases you would EXPECT with millions of people using insulin???) I can give you many more examples of ubiquitous silicone in our daily life but the point is made.

I would NOT worry about this aspect of breast implants.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Allergic reactions to silicone breast implants is most likely based in junk science

+2

A true allergy to silicone is rare. In fact in most instances when patients are allergic to latex products, we use silicone as a substitute. Despite the fact that we rarely see true clinical allergy, there are those individuals who will claim that they are allergic to the implants. The symptoms they describe are not typical of an allergic reaction. They cite the presence of silicone antibodies (which do truly exist) as evidence. However, antibodies can exist without allergy so this is very weak proof. Other junk science advocates report that the platinum used as a catalyst may be a source of allergy. This too, remains conjecture.

Allergy and breast implants

+1

There are no allergies that I know of to breast implants. The product contains either saline or silicone and both are inert.

No true allergy!

+1

No one has demonstrated a true allergic reaction to silicone. There are valid concerns about long term placement of silicone objects in the body, however, there is nothing to suggest an allergic reaction ti implants. Should further studies be done to study the fate of implants, absolutely. But there is little to suggest that they are unsafe.

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Allergies to Breast Implants

+1

There are many people who have sensitivities to various chemicals. This is especially true of latex which is in many medical devices. However, breast implants have a shell made of a silicone elastomer. Silicone is inert and therefore does not react with anything. So although it is theoretically possible to be allergic to silicone it's highly improbable.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Allergy to breast implants

+1

Despite a history of food allergy, allergy to nickel, or allergy to certain products or medications, it is very unlikely that an allergy develop to silicone gel or saline breast implants for that matter. Breast implants have been studied for decades by plastic surgeons, and allergists and rheumatologists looking for links to allergy or illness and none have been found to date. There is no reason to fear an allergic reaction to breast implants.

Breast Implants do not cause allergic reactions

+1

Although in medicine one can never say always or never, I do not know of any reported allergic reactions to breast implants. Silicone and saline implants both have a silicone shell. Silicone was chosen because of its lack of antigenicity. If you ever have received an injection from a syringe which was not made of glass, you probably received a very small amount of silicone with the injection. Although you do seem to have a lot of sensitivities, you should not expect to have an allergic reaction to breast implants.

John Whitt, MD