Breast Implants- 20 Days Post Op and Right Side Swollen and Not Dropping?

I am 20 Days Post Op. I had smooth Saline Moderate Profile Implants placed under the muscle. My right side has been high/swollen since my surgery. It's still sore by my armpit. It feels a little softer but doesn't seem to be dropping. I've gone to my PS every week since my surgery and he said I am just very swollen and it will just take time to drop. My left side dropped during week 1. I had 400 cc on left & 425 on right. Could the implant pocket not be large enough? I just want a 2nd opinion.

Asymmetric Drop and Fluff

+1
This is very common. "Drop and fluff" can happen faster in one breast than the other, and this is probably what is happening to you. I would keep an eye on it but wait for about three to four months to assess your results. Best of luck.

Asymmetry early after breast augmenation

+1

Hi Campinggirl.  It is VERY common for one implant to "drop" or "settle" before the other one. This has to do with your body's natural asymmetry, different sizes and strengths of your muscles, etc. You should follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations about wearing a band/strap and/or massaging your implants, and most importantly, try to be patient and allow them to settle on their own.

I hope that helps and wish you the best.

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Post-op changes after a breast augmentation

+1

Hello ~

Your post-op pictures are not available for assessment.  Given the information provided, I can tell you that you are very early in the healing process.  The implants may drop at different rates, accounting for a perceived asymmetry early post-operatively. The implants will gradually drop over the course of weeks to months. My only advice would be to follow up with your surgeon on a regular schedule to monitor the progress.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Post-op Swelling

+1

At the 20 day point it is still difficult to assess your final outcome.  From your photo there does seem to be a moderate asymmetry which could be present for a variety of reasons.  An exam with your doctor is suggested to assess this.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Implant swollen and high 20 days post op.

+1

Your post operative photo is not loading in.  In any case, 20 days is very early in the post operative course.  Often, implants START to drop at 3 weeks. They will continue to drop into place over time.  One side may drop faster than the other.  Do keep in touch with your plastic surgeon.  He will help you throughout the process..

Jeffrey Roth, MD

+1

It is important to remember that you had two different operations 3 weeks ago: a right and then a left breast augmentation.

You will be very aware of differences in the rate of healing on the two sides - this is normal.

Stay in touch with your surgeon - he or she will guide you through the healing period.

Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Implant not dropping 20 days post op

+1

Your post op picture is not showing up...so I will just go by what you have written down.  Usually, I will tell patients that 20 days post op is too early to worry about the implant not dropping because it normally does take months to see the final result.  Because you are stating that the right side is hard and sore in your armpit, I would ask that you continue seeing your plastic surgeon and discussing the concerns with him.  It is common to have swelling after surgery and it is also common for one side to settle faster than the other side.  
the best thing to do is keep going for your follow up visits, watch for scar tissue buildup (if the implant is feeling hard) and communicate with your surgeon.