Breast Augmentation-sucking Sound

I had a breast augmentation done last Friday (exactly one week ago), and haven't had any complications. I had an amazing doctor! I'm been so worried that something is going to happen to them, so I just had to ask this question. I know it's normal to hear "sloshing" type sounds, but what about sucking sounds? Under my right armpit by the side of my breast, when I lift and lower my arm I get a sucking sound. It even feels like something is sucking. WHAT is this?!

Weird Sounds After Breast Augmentation

+2

Nothing to worry about. In the words of Billy Joel "...Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound
Funny, but it's still rock and roll to me
".  In the process of making a pocket for your breast implant, air is introduced into the area and is left in the pocket after the wound is closed. It takes a week or more for the body to remove the air from the pocket. As long as it is there, movement of the implant through an air pocket while rubbing on your tissues will make any of many strange sounds. All this "rock n roll" will go away soon.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Breast Augmentation

+1

Usually the sucking or sloshing sound is due to a little bit of fluid left in the implant pocket from irrigation with saline or antibiotic fluid.  Very little fluid is needed to cause this sound.  The fluid absorbs over a week or so and the sound goes away.  No need for alarm.  Just mention this to your doctor so he/she is aware of your concern.

Web reference: http://www.elitemdspa.info/

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Sucking sound

+1

I don't think this is a result of air that may still exist in the pocket from surgery.  This is likely the same issue that you refer to as 'sloshing' and simply from a small amount of fluid around your implants that has yet to reabsorb.  I am assuming that your wound on that side is closed and healing without any issue.

Odd noises after a breast augmentation.

+1

Sometimes patients note that they either hear or feel odd sounds/waves early after a breast augmentation. In the case of saline implants, this can happen if they are underfilled or if there is a small amount of air remaining in the implant. More often though, it is simply the effect of having either a small amount of fluid or air between the implant and the overlying tissues. As the breasts heal, these odd sensations and sounds typically disappear. 

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants - Sloshing Sounds, Sucking Sounds Post-Op

+1

Hi cupcakes20 in KY,

Most likely completely normal.  Once the pocket is made for the implant, the implants is inserted and sutures (stitches) are placed to close the incision.  But it takes a while (a few weeks or longer) for all of the tissues to settle around the implant and, until that happens, it's not at all uncommon to hear sloshing sounds or other sounds related to the movement of the implant within the surgically-created pocket.  Your body will absorb the air as the pocket contracts around the implant.

So, as long as you don't have any other symptoms or problems (such as fever, chills, sweats, etc) I think you're on the right track and that you don't need to worry about this.  You should, of course, be in touch with your own plastic surgeon about this.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Breast Augmentation-sucking Sound

+1

GREAT answer Dr Aldea! Love it! Yes the sounds are very common with augmentation. Best to be seen by your chosen surgeon so you can be examined and given more direct info on this issue. Keep rockin.

Weird sounds after breast enlargement

+1

All kinds of sounds can be normal after breast enlargement surgery due to air in the pocket around gel implants or in the implant with saline implants. It should be absorbed within a week or two and the sounds should go away. But check with your surgeon about them during your post-operative visits.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation sucking sounds are normal...gone in 2 weeks

+1

Not to worry.  These sounds are normal.  I warn all my patients about them.  They are temporary, expected, normal and should be gone in two weeks.  Best wishes.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Air In the Pocket after Augmentation

+1

As has been pointed out, the sloshing sound is a product of everything that has happened to you during the operation. Surgically we create a pocket the size  required to meet the need of your request. Secondly a sizer may be placed, then the sizer is removed and the pockets are inspected for bleeding, irrigated with saline and often times antibiotic solutions, and finally , the permanent implant is placed. Each step will introduce some air into the space.  Your body will reabsorb this and the squeaking will go away usually as late as the third week. Its nice to hear that you had a great experience. It makes us happy to hear this as well.

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation sucking sounds

+1

Normally some air gets trapped in the pocket around the implant, and this, along with gurgling sounds,  sloshing sounds, rubbing sounds, etc. resolves over a few weeks as the air is absorbed and the pocket lining forms.  Nothing to worry about, but you should consult your surgeon if you are concerned or if there are implant positioning issues.