Breast Implants for a Smoker?

I am 54 years young, in good health, but I do smoke. Can I have breast augmentation?

Smoking and surgery

+2

I can’t stress it enough: A cigarette habit greatly compromises healing. Smoking damages skin, keeps incisions from repairing and worsens scarring. Moreover, nicotine, which gets into the bloodstream, can cause blood clots. Smoking triggers the release of skin-damaging free radicals, increases swelling, worsens scarring, and impedes healing by limiting blood flow to the skin.

If you smoke, you should refrain for at least two weeks before your procedure and two weeks after. I’d far prefer it, of course, if you started cutting back well before that two-week mark. It’s a bad idea to be smoking regularly before you have surgery, and an even worse idea after. Among the other threats that smoking poses is the distinct chance that you won’t be able to find a self-respecting surgeon to perform the desired procedure. Wouldn’t this be the perfect occasion to seriously try to kick the habit?

Breast Implants for a smoker

+2

There are smokers and THERE ARE SMOKERS! Yes, smokers can have breast implants, BUT there is an increased risk of healing delays, infections, bleeding. So see 3 boarded plastic surgeons in person to get their take. Regards.

Smoking and Breast Augmentation

+2

It really depends if you need a lift. If you do, you will have to stop atleast 2 weeks before and until you are healed after. If it is just an augmentation only, you can get it done but I have found that capsular contracture rate for patients who smoke tends to be higher.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-breastaugmentation-breastimplants-newport-beach.php

Breast Implants in Smokers

+2

I agree that smoking can certainly contribute to problems with wound healing. In fact I will not perform a full tummy tuck, standard reduction, or standard facelift on smokers. I do not, however, refuse to perform augmentations on smokers or insist that they stop smoking. I have not to date seen any significant wound healing problems in smokers undergoing augmentation.

Breast augmentation and smoking

+1

Yes, you can have breast augmentation surgery, but you should keep in mind that the risks of anesthesia complications, poor wound healing, scarring, and capsular contracture all go up in smokers. If you can quit even three weeks prior to surgery, your risks begin to go down. Good luck, /nsn.

You will have higher risk of complications

+1

You can have breast augmentation but you have higher risk of complications from anesthesia and surgery. You can stop smoking for two weeks before and after surgery . This will decrease your risk.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

It's not ideal, but a smoker can have a breast augmentation

+1

It's relatively common to perform breast augmentation in patients who smoke, though they are at an increased risk for wound healing complications. Given your age, however, it is entirely possible that you require a concomitant breast lift. It is not safe to perform this operation in a patient using tobacco products, as your risks of significant wound healing complications, including loss of skin and loss of the nipple and areola is signficantly higher.

Your best is to quit using all tobacco products and all products containing nicotine for at least 4 weeks prior to any breast surgery.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Smoking increases complications for breast augmentation

+1

Although smoking before/ after breast augmentation is not an absolute contraindication to having the surgery, it does increase the risk of developing complications. These include:

1) your incisions not healing properly and opening, thereby exposing your breast implant to an infection and requiring a possible removal;

2) your incisions not healing properly leading to increased scarring.

I ask ALL of my patients to stop smoking for at least 4 weeks before/ after their surgery to decrease the risk of these complications from occurring.

Munster Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and breast implants

+1

Smoking increases the risk of surgical complications. I would stop for a few weeks before surgery and continue to abstain from cigarettes for a few weeks after.

Smoking and breast augmentation

+1

A breast augmentation can easily be performed in a smoker. However, this sets you up for a theoretical higher fate of complications including poor wound healing, unfavorable scars, adverse reaction to anesthesia, etc. However, if you were to consider a combined breast lift that would be an entirely different situation.