Breast Augmentation Considerations for a 50 Year Old

I am considering getting a small breast augmentation but I am 50 years old. Are there any concerns in doing this at my age?

Breast Augmentation at 50

If you are a healthy 50 year old, like the patients I see in my practice, you could be an excellent candidate fro breast augmentation surgery.  Look at my breast augmnetation gallery of 100+ women. My patients are all ages. 
Take time researching a plastic surgeon. Look for education from top tier medical schools and surgical training from excellent university medical centers. The, start looking for many, many before and after photos. Once you have researched the credentials and experience (by checking out some photos) of plastic surgeons, you are ready to start meeting plastic surgeons in consultation. Look for plastic surgeons who have performed many of these surgeries on women your age with your size and desired outcome.  Good luck

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and age considerations

If you are healthy and able to undergo anesthesia the considerations for breast augmentation at 50 years of age should be the same as that of someone of 25 years of age.  With age additional laxity may be present and this may necessitate a breast lift but this can be determined at your consultation.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast Augmentation for a 50 Year Old

Your age should not otherwise affect your status as a candidate for breast augmentation. Ideal candidates are in good health physically and emotionally and have realistic expectations for what this procedure can achieve. If you meet these requirements and as long as you have no other pre-existing conditions that affect your ability to undergo anesthesia and surgery, there are no major concerns. Any other particular concerns would have to do with the current shape and appearance of your breasts, especially in regards to the possible need for a breast lift in conjunction with augmentation. It would be best to discuss this further with a highly experienced board certified plastic surgeon who can examine you in person and address all of your questions and concerns.

50 is the new 40!

Healthy women over the age of 18yo can consider breast augmentation. I have quite a number of patients who have chosen to have breast augmentation after their 50th birthday. The satisfaction rate for these women is just as high as it is for other age groups. Choose a board certified plastic surgeon; all members of the American Society for Aeshetic Plastic Surgery are such. 

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

Breast Augmentation at 50

First of all I would tell you that this is more common than you think! Many women do not undergo a breast augmentation until their last child goes to college. The breasts can deflate and lose the youthful appearance they once had.

The majority of women in this range want exactly what you are stating a small implant that is just going to restore what they have lost.  Something that will look good in a nice dress.  

If you are in good health there is no reason that you could not have a breast augmentation.

I encourage you to see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options!

Healthy 50 year old

If you are healthy, there are no contraindications to breast augmentation.  You will need a preoperative mammogram,

Breast augmentation considerations for a 50 year old?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast aug at 50

There is no age limit for plastic surgery. As long as you are healthy enough to undergo surgery there is no reason not to proceed. Go for it!

Grant Stevens, MD

Breast augmentation for 50 year old

You are a candidate for a breast augmentation as long as you are a healthy 50 year old.  In my practice, we follow the recommendations of the ASA and require all patients 50 and older to have an EKG and lab work prior to surgery and general anesthesia.  We perform many breast augmentations per year on women your age and older.

Breast Aug Age Considerations

As long as you are healthy and without any major surgical risk factors, there is no age cut off for having a breast augmentation procedure.  50 years old is absolutely acceptable.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD