Where Can I Find More Affordable Breast Augmentation?

I had a partial hysterectomy 11 months ago and due to hormonal changes and no longer taking birth control, my breast size has gotten so much smaller. It would really make me happy to be fuller again I am in the Los Angeles area but am willing to travel if not extremely far. I am so excited to have found this site.

I've wanted breast implants for years. Hope someone can help. I at one point was a full C small D when on pill...but now a small B again. I was also much fuller when breastfeeding. I know I like the look and confidence that comes with it.

I have read that the average price for saline implants in New Port is approx $2,500. Is this true? I am trying to save up money and looking for a great doctor that does affordable breast augmentation. Can anyone recommend a good doctor that's affordable for me?

Where Can I Find More Affordable Breast Augmentation

+2

Consider a resident's clinic at one of the many University Hospital training programs that may be located nearby

Competition has reduced the cost of breast augmentation even among the best surgeons.

+2

Times have been difficult for all plastic surgeons.  There have been discounts in nearly all areas of the specialty as competition has increased and demand has contracted due to the economy.  I think you can choose a good plastic surgeon and explain your budget.  I think you'll be helped.  However, in the end, make sure you use a good surgeon.  Breast augmentation can get real expensive if it's bungled by an incompetent surgeon.

Affordable breast augmentation at plastic surgery clinics.

+2

Hi.

Go to a large teaching hospital near you. Preferably one affiliated with a University. Ask for the plastic surgery clinic.. The breast augmentation is done by plastic surgery residents under supervision. This is typically a safe and inexpensive approach.

In New York City, we train residents and fellows at Lenox Hill Hospital, and they do a lot of breast implants.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Probably not the time to bargain hunt for breast augmentation

+2

I am all for saving money, especially in this day and time. Absolutely, if you can get a good quality breast augmentation for thousands less by changing surgeons, go for it.

Unfortunately, that's probably not the case. Most surgeons are going to try to keep their prices within the same ballpark as the other practices in the same geographic area. If there's a surgeon whose price is significantly lower, a red flag should go up. It's imperative that YOU take charge of checking out each surgeon you're interviewing. Compare their backgrounds, education, experience, board certifications, etc.

If all of that compares and you're comfortable with their level of expertise, then look at price. Many practices offer some type of financing option. If done properly, you're probably going to have your breast implants a long time, and when you distribute the cost over those years, the cost difference probably isn't going to seem quite so significant.

Steve Byrd, MD

Check your local university training program

+2

The price you quote for saline implants is extraordinarily low and is not inclusive of all fees such as implants, surgeon's fee, operating room and anesthesia fee. If it is, I would run the other direction. You might want to check with the university residency training programs that do surgery for less than private surgeons but the residents are staffed and assisted by established, experienced, private attending surgeons.

I would put cost lower on your list of priorities behind finding a surgeon you feel comfortable, can spend time with you (time is money unfortunately), answers all your questions, listens to what you want, operates in a safe and accredited facility, has a good reputation and is experienced. One complication can wipe out any savings you might realize from going to a "cheaper" doctor, especially one who will do a breast augmentation for $2500.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Affordable Breast Augmentation

+1
The cost of breast augmentation can vary depending on whether you have saline or silicone implants. There are some important questions to ask as you should not base your decision about where to have surgery only on price.

It is important to ask the right questions during your consultation:

• 1.Is your surgeon a board certified plastic surgeon?
    • a.Be sure he or she is a plastic surgeon, there are a lot surgeons that are cosmetic surgeons or board certified in other fields other than plastic surgery. They do not do the same training as a plastic surgeon.
    • b.You can check the American Board of Plastic Surgery website for a list of plastic surgeons in your area.
  • 2.Does your surgeon commonly perform this procedure?
    • a.Ask to see before and after pictures or look online for reviews on the procedure.
  • 3.Where is the surgery performed
    • a.Is the procedure performed in an accredited surgery center or hospital?
  • 4.Who performs the anesthesia for the procedure?
    • a.Is an anesthesiologist performing the anesthesia?

Johnny Franco, MD

Compare costs very carefully

+1
Often it is not the best approach to find the cheapest plastic surgeon. Does the surgeon specialize in this procedure? What are their credentials? How long have they been in practice? What percentage of their practice is cosmetic surgery? How many of these surgeries have they performed? Do they use the latest techniques? What do their results look like? Do they have photos to show of their work? Do they provide follow-up themselves, or will you only see the nurses (or even just an assistant)? Are they available by phone for an emergency or does one of their staff answer after-hour calls? What is the impression you get from their office and staff? Are they professional and informative? Do they know what they are talking about? You need to ask yourself all of these questions.

When comparing quotes from different doctors, check to make sure that the costs you are quoted are for the same thing! Check to see what type of anesthesia and facility you are going to be treated in. If the total price is lower but you are not going to receive proper anesthesia from a board certified anesthesiologist, then are you getting a better deal (or inferior treatment)? If the facility is not a certified outpatient surgery center but is an in-office procedure room, is the difference in safety worth the cost reduction? If the doctor is not a board certified plastic surgeon, is that worth the discount in the fees? I would say the answer to all three of these questions is no!

Assuming you are talking about a board certified plastic surgeon with plenty of experience in breast augmentation, you need to find someone who you trust. This is your body, make sure you are making decisions based on the quality of care, the experience and training of the doctor, and proven results! Cost alone should not be the deciding factor.

The prices can vary from state to state, and from city to city. Our costs, including the board certified plastic surgeon's fees, board certified anesthesiologist's fees, operating room, saline implants, labs, scar gel, vitamins, and follow-up at 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and every year after that forever, are around $5000. If you need more follow-up appointments, those are free as well.

Gary Lawton, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Is 'Affordable' breast augmentation really affordable in the end?

+1
In general, Breast revision, if it is merely replacing an implant and no major revision or lifting of the implant needs to be done, then the replacement fee is far simpler than the actual primary surgery and is thus less expensive. The prices of Breast Augmentation, Lift, or full mommy make overs as well as revisions can vary widely from city to city. For example, a breast augmentation can cost 3-4 times in LA and New York what it costs in Montana.
In looking at the a price quote for breast augmentation, you should consider many variables.
1. The Surgeon's Fee. This can vary widely depending on the experience and results and thus demand for that surgeon. This also sometimes depends on technique. For example, a sub-muscular placement of an implant is much faster and thus takes less work for the surgeon than a sub-fascial placement of the implant that takes twice as long.
2. The Implant. The breast implant price depends on using a saline, memory gel, or highly cohesive (gummybear) implants. Usually saline implants cost about $1,000 for a pair, memory gel $2,000, and highly cohesive $3,000. If fat is used instead of an implant, then usually a fat harvest charge is used instead of implant fee as liposuction supplies are used and the fat purified in a variety of methods. The size of the implant does not matter, only the type of implant. If a dermal matrix is needed then there is an additional charge (usually about $1,000). In revisions, often the same implant can be used which saves on the implant costs. If a breast lift alone is performed, then obviously there is no implant cost.
3. Anesthesia. This can vary as well. If a board certified anesthesiologist is used then the price is higher. If a CRNA (nurse anesthetist) then the price is lower. It is even lower when a doctor just uses a non-certified anesthetist nurse, or just a medical assistant to push the anesthetic drugs (yes, this actually does happen).
4. Facility Fee. This can vary if the surgeon is using a certified surgery center or hospital vs. his non-certified office.
These four components make the total price, so it is best to break these down so the patient knows exactly what she is getting.
Realself has an average cost for each city.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Cost

+1
Visit a few surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery in your area to compare price and approach. I can't emphasize enough that you are putting your health and safety as well as aesthetic outcome in the hands of the surgeon you choose - while price is often a consideration it shouldn't be the main basis of your decision. Talk to the surgeons you consult with about financing options. Best of luck!

Grant Stevens, MD

Breast Augmentation for less

+1
Couple of options - one being: financing, I recommenced contacting Care Credit or a similar well establish lending institution for cosmetic surgery. In the long run of course it will cost you more because of interest charges.

Choosing a plastic surgeon because of his/her cheap price is fraught with danger and selects in particular for non board certified surgeons often not even plastic surgeons who are advertising. One thing you might look for is an academic training center where plastic surgery residents supervised by their professors may have a "residents clinic" with steeply discounted rates. I also don't recommend going overseas as this can be even more risky. Be careful.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS