How Much Fat Needed to See Brazilian Butt Lift Results?

One doctor said I should put on 15 to 20 pounds of weight before the Brazilian butt lift surgery. The other doctor said he is willing to perform the surgery and he only needs to lipo my love handles (which are flabby that look like a muffin top) and the bottom part of my back over the butt. I asked him about the front of my belly where I do have some extra fat and he said, there was no need to do that because I have enough fat. I just need to know how much fat is needed to see the results of a Brazilian butt lift?

How much fat do I need to have for a Brazilian Butt Lift?

+4

Hi there-

There is no firm answer to the question of whether or not your abdomen should be harvested, but in my practice, I generally follow the rule that the more fat I can get, the better.

I have come to believe this after a lot of experience doing Brazilian Butt Lifts, because (as is commonly understood) some of the fat grafted will be re-absorbed- therefore the more that is placed, the better. Also, the appearance of the buttocks is never judged (whether by you or admirers of your new bottom) in isolation, but rather within the context of the surrounding structures... improving the appearance of your abdomen would enhance the buttock outcome, and vice versa.

I almost never do this operation without harvesting the abdomen, waist, hips, and often the thighs as well, in order to maximally improve the overall shape of the buttocks, as well as the world they live in, if you will.

I hope that helps you- let me know if you have more questions.

How much fat for a Brazilian Butt Lift?

+3

AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE,  It doesn't take much time to harvest from different areas and my patients have always been happy with having some removed from their tummies or thighs even if I don't use all of it for the butt augmentation.  Go with the surgeon with experience and who is planning on taking more.

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Harvesting Fat for BBL

+2
The amount of fat needed for your BBL depends on what you want the end result to be and the size of your frame. Meaning, 800cc of fat will make a bigger difference for a small framed person than for a larger framed person. It is best to harvest as much fat as possible, taking from the love handles and the abdomen and any other pockets of fat. Just be sure to communicate how much larger you would like your buttocks to be. An experienced surgeon will be able to give you the results you desire. 

The two doctors you consulted with gave you very different answers, so that can be confusing. Only consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and ask to see before and after photos. When looking at the photos, consider the size and build of the patients in the photos compared to yourself and be sure to point out the results that reflect what you desire. This process should help it make more sense to you, and help you communicate your goals with the surgeon.

German Newall, MD

The Right Amount..

+2

The amount needed varies from patient to patient and the desired enhancement the patient wants also determines how much fat may be required. It may be as little as 300-400 ml per side to over 1200 ml per side. The donor fat obviously needs to be enough to reach those goals.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Brazilian Butt Lift

+1
Brazilian butt lift (fat transfer to the buttock) is so popular because it enables your plastic surgeon to transform your entire shape. Liposuction is performed over several areas depending on the individual patient needs, but typically of the flanks, abdomen, back and thighs. You currently have a very square shape (which is more common than most people realize).

The liposculpting will allow your surgeon to bring in your hips and waist giving you more of an hour glass figure. You already have some shape to your buttock and this will be able to be enhanced to give you a very attractive buttock. From the pictures you look like you have very good skin which will give you a great result from the liposcultping.

The amount of fat needed depends on the shape and needs of each individual patient, however in general at least 500cc per buttock need to be placed to see a significant difference. On average patients typically receive around 800cc per buttock side for a total of 1600cc of fat transfer. However just like a breast augmentation the amount of fat needed various from patient to patients. Also the sculpting done with the liposuction is a big part of the procedure to improve the overall shape.

However if a patient has a BMI of 22 they typically will have enough fat for the Brazilian butt lift. If they are smaller than this then they will need to consider doing an augmentation with implants.

The process of the Brazilian Butt lift is not only to add volume to the buttock but to transform the entire shape of the patient from a square appearance to more of an hour glass shape. It is about giving a patient a figure that she will look great in close or a bikini (for the patients here in Miami). The goal is not to just try and make the biggest butt possible. It is giving the patient a shape they will love for years to come!

When considering this procedure it is very important that you have your procedure performed by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Johnny Franco, MD

+1

The answer to this question relates to your body shape and current proportions of your buttock relating to the torso and the lower extremities.  The Brazilian Butt Lift procedure focuses on not only enlarging the buttock, but also shaping the buttock.  In fact, the shaping portion of the procedure takes up approximately 70-80% of the time to create an improved aesthetic result. The answer to how much fat is needed also relates to your vision as to what is a beautiful butt.  If you like a larger buttock, then as much fat as possible would be required to fulfill your request.  As a result, you may need to have more than just your love handles suctioned.  Hope this helps!!

Joel B. Beck, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

How Much Fat is Transferred in the Brazilian Buttlift?

+1

About 50% to 70% of the fat survives.   Therefore, at least 800 cc needs to be transferred to give a noticeable difference.  For more impressive results, you may want to consider 1200 cc or 1500 cc.  Find the board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Brazilian Buttlift Los Angeles, CA

+1

Wow!  This is a tough question but in general, more is better if you can get it.  After you harvest the fat, clean it and process it, there is always a bit less than you originally thought you would have and that is why having more is better.  From your one photo it is really hard to determine if you have enough just in the flanks and lower back but I tend to error on the side of caution and would like to see an abdominal and a thigh photo before telling you if you have enough to proceed with your BBL.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Fat needed for Brazilian Butt Lift depends on current anatomy and expectations

+1

It all depends on how much augmentation you expect. If the answer is “as big as possible" then your love handle will not be enough. In general, one third of what we liposuction could be used. The success of this procedure depends largely on the surgical technique. Gentle harvesting technique with smaller cannulas, low suction, proper filtration etc.

On the other hand, gaining 15 pound seems like an extreme. A happy medium would be to suction other areas in your body in the same time.

Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS