How Much Fat Needed to See Brazilian Butt Lift Results?

One doctor said I should put on 15 to 20 pounds of weight before the Brazilian butt lift surgery. The other doctor said he is willing to perform the surgery and he only needs to lipo my love handles (which are flabby that look like a muffin top) and the bottom part of my back over the butt. I asked him about the front of my belly where I do have some extra fat and he said, there was no need to do that because I have enough fat. I just need to know how much fat is needed to see the results of a Brazilian butt lift?

How much fat do I need to have for a Brazilian Butt Lift?

Hi there-

There is no firm answer to the question of whether or not your abdomen should be harvested, but in my practice, I generally follow the rule that the more fat I can get, the better.

I have come to believe this after a lot of experience doing Brazilian Butt Lifts, because (as is commonly understood) some of the fat grafted will be re-absorbed- therefore the more that is placed, the better. Also, the appearance of the buttocks is never judged (whether by you or admirers of your new bottom) in isolation, but rather within the context of the surrounding structures... improving the appearance of your abdomen would enhance the buttock outcome, and vice versa.

I almost never do this operation without harvesting the abdomen, waist, hips, and often the thighs as well, in order to maximally improve the overall shape of the buttocks, as well as the world they live in, if you will.

I hope that helps you- let me know if you have more questions.

How much fat for a Brazilian Butt Lift?

AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE,  It doesn't take much time to harvest from different areas and my patients have always been happy with having some removed from their tummies or thighs even if I don't use all of it for the butt augmentation.  Go with the surgeon with experience and who is planning on taking more.

Harvesting Fat for BBL

The amount of fat needed for your BBL depends on what you want the end result to be and the size of your frame. Meaning, 800cc of fat will make a bigger difference for a small framed person than for a larger framed person. It is best to harvest as much fat as possible, taking from the love handles and the abdomen and any other pockets of fat. Just be sure to communicate how much larger you would like your buttocks to be. An experienced surgeon will be able to give you the results you desire. 

The two doctors you consulted with gave you very different answers, so that can be confusing. Only consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and ask to see before and after photos. When looking at the photos, consider the size and build of the patients in the photos compared to yourself and be sure to point out the results that reflect what you desire. This process should help it make more sense to you, and help you communicate your goals with the surgeon.

German Newall, MD

The Right Amount..

The amount needed varies from patient to patient and the desired enhancement the patient wants also determines how much fat may be required. It may be as little as 300-400 ml per side to over 1200 ml per side. The donor fat obviously needs to be enough to reach those goals.

It depends on your aesthetic goals...

It’s not unusual for patients to be concerned about how much fat can be transferred when they undergo a brazilian butt lift.The answer to this question depends upon a large number of variables including their aesthetic goals, anatomic findings and social situation.
The availability of donor sites, the quality of the recipient site, the technique utilized to process the fat, the patient’s aesthetic goals and the post-operative management are all important factors.
Without quality pictures or a physical examination, it’s virtually impossible to estimate how much fat can be transferred in any particular patient.In some patients 400cc’s per buttock would be considered a reasonable number, while in other patients larger amounts in excess of 1000cc’s might be necessary to reach their aesthetic goals.
If you’re considering brazilian butt lift surgery it’s important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon.This surgeon should be able to estimate the amount of fat that will be transferred based on your unique anatomic findings and aesthetic goals.

How Much Fat to Use for Brazilian Butt Lift, BBL

First of all, I do not think you should gain weight prior to your surgery unless you are going to remain at that new weight as the transferred fat will shrink when you eventually lose the weight.
Without an exam by a board certified plastic surgeon, it would be hard to give you the best opinion. No, you you cannot use someone else's fat. Re: the amount to transfer: A lot depends on the amount of fat that is suitable for transfer as not all fat that is removed can be transplanted - only the fat that is not traumatized or clumped. The second limiting factor is that too much fat cannot be transplanted at one time or the fat that is transferred may not fully take. Although not all fat survives initially, the part that does is more or less permanent A person’s own fat may be used to improve the appearance of his or her body by moving it from an area of excess (or where it is less desired, such as the thighs, hips or abdomen) to an area that has less volume desired or has lost tissue volume due to aging, trauma, surgery, certain diseases, birth defects, or other causes.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

I usually transfer 1200 to 1800 cc to each side. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS

The answer to this question relates to your body shape and current proportions of your buttock relating to the torso and the lower extremities.  The Brazilian Butt Lift procedure focuses on not only enlarging the buttock, but also shaping the buttock.  In fact, the shaping portion of the procedure takes up approximately 70-80% of the time to create an improved aesthetic result. The answer to how much fat is needed also relates to your vision as to what is a beautiful butt.  If you like a larger buttock, then as much fat as possible would be required to fulfill your request.  As a result, you may need to have more than just your love handles suctioned.  Hope this helps!!

How Much Fat is Transferred in the Brazilian Buttlift?

About 50% to 70% of the fat survives.   Therefore, at least 800 cc needs to be transferred to give a noticeable difference.  For more impressive results, you may want to consider 1200 cc or 1500 cc.  Find the board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Brazilian Buttlift Los Angeles, CA