Does Fat Injected Deep into the Muscle Last Longer?

I've heard that it is best to have fat injected deep into the muscle when performing a Brazilian butt lift, because fat there is most likely to find a blood source and to last, vs fat injected in superficial layers near the skin; and that this is the South American way of performing the operation. They've been doing this procedure longer than US doctors. Is their method better? My US doc has never heard of this and says there is no benefit to deep injections. Is he just ignorant on this subject?

Fat Injected Into the Muscle Lasts Longer

+3

Generally when fat is injected deep into the muscle it does last longer. When a Brazilian butt lift is done, some if the fat is injected deep into the muscle tissue but it is also placed into several different layers, deep and superficial. You do get more take in the deeper areas but to get the best results you do need to disperse fat in all areas. 

Deep fat injections are best for buttock augmentation

+3

When performing a buttock augmentation with fat (Brazilian buttock lift) the majority of the fat is injected deep into the gluteal muscles.  The reason for this is to increase the survival of the fat cells as the blood supply within the muscle is far greater than the blood supply to the skin.  Superficial injections tend not to survive very long and contribute to a lumpy/bumpy appearance and fat atrophy (shrinkage).

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with these techniques.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Brazilian butt lift results with fat

+2

I inject 80% of the harvested fat in the muscle, and 20% in the skin/fatty layer.  The muscle has a robust blood supply and should make it easier for the fat to survive.  More importantly, the buttock muscle has fascial covering, like saran wrap, so when you inject  the fat it pushes against the muscle covering which gives a smooth result and avoids  "lumpy butt" which is quite ugly indeed.

Pramit Malhotra, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian butt lift fat injection

+1

I prefer to inject the fat into tissue with excellent blood flow.  Muscle is a great location in which to inject the fat. Some of the fat is injected into the fatty layer on top of the muscle also.  Another ciritical aspect is to deposit the fat in layers to allow the fat to be nourished by the surrounding tissue.  This has been shown to improve survival of the fat.

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Braxilain Butt lift: injecting fat into muscle

+1

Most practitioners prefer to inject the fat into vascularized tissue with muscle being one of the optimal targets. Another ciritical aspect is to deposit the fat in thin threads to allow the fat to be nourished by the surrounding tissue. This is similar to the way seeds are sown in soil.