Does Botox Work Faster in Forehead Vs Glabella?

Hi, I just received my first Botox treatment on Tuesday for my 11 lines (20 units) and forehead (6 units). I understand it can take up to 2 weeks to see results; however, my question is does Botox work quicker in weaker muscles vs. stronger muscles? My forehead is wrinkle free now; whereas, my glabella, which has a stronger muscle, still shows minimal results. B/C of this, my eyebrows are doing weird things when I raise them (upside down V shape). Will this even out?

Botox Effect

+2

Every patient is different.  Some patinets see an effect after 24 hours and some take up to a week to see results.  It all depends on your skin and your metabolism.  Also, sometimes, the forehead or around the eyes will take effect before the glabella.  So, you really should give it about a week to 10 days to take full effect.

Good Luck.

Rate Botox Injection Takes Effect.

+2

The effect of Botox treatment can be seen in as little as 3 days after injection. Full effect can take up to 2 weeks. During this time, you may see different levels of muscle relaxation in the areas Botox has been injected. It sounds like this variable relaxation effect is what you are noticing at present. If after 2 weeks you continue to experience the "uneveness", return to your plastic surgeon for re-evaluation.

Anifat Balogun, MD

Give Botox 2 weeks, then go back to your doctor

+2

You are correct in assuming that Botox works quicker in smaller muscles. So it does make sense to wait a full 2 weeks before deciding on the final results of your injection. That being said, don't delay returning to your doctor to have them evaluate the final results. Sometimes just a small "boost" to an area can fix problem results. Your doctor also took notes on how you were injected, so they may change the pattern of your injection based on the results you had. The key is returning to them for follow-up!

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

You'll be fine...

+1

yes the botox begins to work differently in different muscles...and it's more than the size...sometimes it'll begin to work on one side faster than the other and cause some anxiety until several days or a week passes and everything calms down...and yes it's not uncommon for the forehead to become smoother faster than the glabella...

Ken Landow, MD

Uneven Botox Activation

+1

If this persists after a full two weeks, it could be that your glabella simply needs more product to relax it more fully. See your physician again to see if you might qualify for a touch-up to even out the results. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Botox may work quicker in some muscles

+1

the dose of the Botox is critical and the doctor may have to learn what the most appropriate dose for the glabella is.  You may see more improvement without any further units of Botox being injected just by waiting up  to weeks or more.  The glabella having a stronger muscle mass may just need more units and can't show its effect as quickly as the thinner forehead muscles.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Speed of Botox

+1

The effects of Botox vary in different people and in different locations. Generally speaking, the effects of Botox kick in at 2-3 days, but full effect may not take place until 10-14 days later. No specific area consistently begins responding faster than any other area.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

How Long Before Botox Takes Effect?

+1

Hi Nonny.  If your forehead is looking good after several days and your 11 lines are not, we would be concerned.  The interesting thing is that the dose in the glabella seems appropriate while the dose in the forehead seems to be too little - unless you had very mild forehead lines.

If you are still able to contract (frown at the 11 lines) after a week call your injector as they may have missed the mark.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Does Botox Work Faster in Different Areas?

+1

The onset of the effects of Botox should be relatively equal for each individual but is different from individual to individual.  The usual onset is 3-7 days but the full effect may take up to 14 days to be seen.

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist