Why is my Forehead Region Still So Mobile After Botox Injection Post 9 Days?

I had my first injection of Botox 9 days ago. Unfortunately I do not remember how many units were injected. He also did a few more injections along the top of my eyebrow, but none for crow's feet. I'm 52 but the glabellar lines are really my only lines at this point. Anyhow, at 9 days I think the lines may possibly appear a little flatter, but with my forehead completely relaxed they are definitely still there, and if I frown or squint my brow folds up just like it always has. Is this normal?

Botox Typically Takes 7-10 days to start working, up to 14 days.

+3

While 9 days is on the longer end of how long it takes to start seeing the effects of Botox, it can take up to 14 days.  I would recommend hanging in there for another few days.  

If however, there is movement after this time, I recommedn vsiting your Doctor and having it re-evaluated as you may need a "touchup."

If the Botox is working elsewhere on your forehead, my guess is that it will begin to work in the next several days.

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

The results from neurotoxin injections (Botox, Dysport and the new Xeomin) are dose dependent.  The full effects, of the Botox treatment, should occur between 3-7 days, so these are the results.  It sounds like you may need additional Botox and perhaps in additional areas of your forehead if you want fewer lines when moving your forehead.

Botox to forehead results

+2

I try to always make sure that patients can still move their eyebrows and foreheads a bit, and avoid a frozen, solid face, as it looks fake. Botox results can take up to 10 days to be in full effect; although, usually your first treatment it will kick in faster. With all of that being said, if you aren't happy with your results, or it's not what you were expecting, I'd suggest revisiting your injector for an evaluation.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Mobile Forehead Post Botox

+2

On rare occasions i've seen it take up to 10 days to see the effect of Botox. You may need more Botox  because some people need more units to achieve the desired result.. Neurotoxins such as Botox  will decrease lines of animation but will do nothing  for the creases which are present at rest. You don't want to eliminate all lines of expression. Discuss all of this with your physician.

Botox and lines

+2

Usually botox takes about a week fo rthe full effects.  The goal is not to compeltely freeze your forehead because that looks very fake.  However, certainl paitents do require more than others.

Botox improves dynamic but not static wrinkles

+2

If the lines are still there when your forehead is completely relaxed, they are most likely static wrinkles, meaning that the creases have already changed the texture of the skin enough to appear even when the muscles are completely relaxed.  These wrinkles will not be eliminated by Botox.  Static wrinkles can be improved with a filler or laser resurfacing depending on where and how deep they are.

If the Botox injections were placed into the glabella, it should not fold as usual.  It may not be completely immobile (and I agree with the other answer that you don't want a totally frozen look), but it should be somewhat relaxed and smoothed out.

If the Botox was injected into the forehead, it doesn't affect the glabellar frown lines very much.  Those are relaxed by injections into the procerus and corrugators between and immediately above the glabella.

It's also true that it takes up to 2 weeks to see the full action of Botox take place.  I recommend that you wait for another week and then return to your injecting physician to determine if other injection sites are needed.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and movement

+2

There are multiple reasons why this could have occurred.

1. Some of the lines that you have in the forehead are very deep. Remember, the botox can soften the lines but if someone has a very deep line, it wont completely efface it.  

2. It sounds like you didn't have any botox on your forehead and thus should be able to move your forehead up and down. The botox in the glabellar area reduces the ability to bring your brows together (like when one is thinking deeply)..so in summary..totally normal

3. If you did have botox in your forehead and you can still raise your forehead then it could be because you didn't have enough..I have rarely seen a case where enough botox was used and a patient still can raise their forehead. Lots of times patients will say.."treat the forehead but only put a few units there". I tell them I can try but if you put too few units in an area it won't work well or will tend to wear off early. Its like saying "Get rid of the crime in Las Vegas but I only want you to use one police officer". Just doesn't work that way.

Without the units and the locations of your treatment it is difficult to say what exactly happened. If you aren't satisfied you should return and probably get more botox. One of the most common phenomenon that I see with botox is where patients in an effort to cut costs will reduce the amount of botox that they need and then be disatisfied with the results and it is due to the fact that not enough botox was used. Also, Rarely the botox just doesn't work on some people (<1%). Hope that helps.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox in forehead

+2
Would say that if you have mobility in the forehead, your injector has done a great job. The frozen look isn't aesthetically pleasing. You can see many examples of poorly injected Botox by watching TV newscasters. By targeting the depressor muscles, I can achieve reduction of furrows without the frozen look. It takes more skill in injection technique and more time to analyze and inject, but produces an excellent result.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

I can still move my forehead after Botox

+2

After 9 days post-treatment with Botox, you should definitely notice less mobility when you contract your forehead.  I recommend at two weeks post-injection, you should follow up with your physician to see if you need more product.  The goal with the forehead treatment is to have slight mobility, as this is "natural" and avoids the frozen face look. 

Post-treatment you also have to recognize the amount of effort you use to contract the muscles.  After the first Botox treatment of the glabellar area (between the eyebrows)  some patients feel they still have movement.   But when they demonstrate their movement, they are using significant force to wrinkle their brow and also now recruiting muscles at the lateral brow.  

Follow-up with  your doctor.  Your treatment should be customized for you.  He can only optimize the results if he sees the results.

Christina Steil, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Forehead movement after Botox

+1

It usually takes at least 4 days to start and see results.  Sometimes it takes longer.  Botox can be different in individual patients.  Best to contact your injector and let him/her know your concerns.

Jeffrey Roth, MD