How Can I Tell if I Need Botox in my Masseter Muscle?

Hi, I have a very large jaw and was thinking of having it reduced by Botox in my masseter muscle. How do I know if this will be successful for me, ie if my large jaw is caused by my masseter muscle and not just my jawbone...? Thanks for your help!

Botox for hypertrophic masseter muscle of a wide face vs. bone enlargement

+2

Muscle hypertrophy vs. jawbone enlargement is different in shape.  The jawbone enlargement, often is from front to back not side to side, but if you are still wondering if it is the bone structure, then check the position of the widening.  lower cheek widening is jawbone, and masseter muscle enlargment or hypertrophy is mid cheek.  in the olden days, mid cheek buccal fat pads were removed by plastic surgeons to help create a better defined cheekbone but this can lead to an appearance of premature aging as thin cheeks indicate illness, tiredness, and fatigue.

Botox to decrease a large jaw.

+2

The best way to deside if Botox injections would decrease the size of your jaw is to have a consult, or two, with surgeons who will evaluate the size of your Masseter muscle, since this is what the Botox would be reducing.  Botox injections are light years easier and less invasive than bone surgery alternatives and IMHO a great way to start.  Try it and see if it works.  This, of course, if you do in fact have an overly prominent jawline...which should be evaluated during consultation as well.

Can Botox Help Reduce the Size of my Jaw?

+2

Hi Catya.  A proper evaluation by an experienced injector should be able to tell you if you are a candidate for this procedure.

The results will depend on what extent your jaw shape is based on bone structure or muscle structure.  If you have a very strong and thick masseter (jaw) muscle, then there is a good possibility you will respond well.  We set the expectation that results will develop slowly over the course of a year with 3-4 injection visits.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

How to tell if Botox is needed to reduce masseter muscle size

+2

You need to be evaluated by a board-certified dermatologist or a plastic surgeon to determine if the shape of the jawline comes from the muscle or bone.  If it is muscle, and you feel you want the jawline more narrow, Botox can be injected into the masseter.  It takes 3-4 months to see results after injections, but Botox can reduce the size of the muscle.

This needs to be done by a doctor with training and experience in performing this procedure.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Try clenching your jaw muscles with your hand on the side of your jaw line

+2

Try clenching your jaw muscles, with your hand on the side of your jaw line - almost in the middle.  Feel around until you feel movement when you clench down on your teeth.  If you feel the muscles move a lot when you clench and un-clench, then Botox to the masseters will most likely help.  If you are the right candidate, then a little Botox is an easy treatment that can lead to a tremendous benefit.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Consultation with Medical Injector

+1
This can be determined by meeting with your experienced medical injector and having a physical examination of the area. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

First you have to decide if you have a problem that you would like corrected...

+1

just because the masseter is enlarged doesn't necessarily mean it needs treatment...you have to perceive there's something not quite right that you would like improved...if its your masseter - you'll have a relatively square jaw with prominence of the sides of your cheek in front of your ear and above the jawline...and when you bite down this area will get larger...and of course for a more angular face, nothing beats botox...

Ken Landow, MD

Botox Can Be Used to Reduce the Size of Facial Muscles

+1

You would need to be evaluated by an experienced physician to determine if Botox would be a successful treatment for you. Over the years, Botox has taken on many new uses that are quite controversial. Botox has been used to shrink certain facial muscles (masseter muscles) to change the hard, angular shape of the jaw line. Also, in certain cultures, Botox has been used to decrease the size of the calf muscles to give a “more feminine” appearance. Using a neurotoxin such as Botox to weaken muscles that are necessary for everyday use seems crazy to me.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon