Will Botox Get Rid of Neck Bands?

Hello, I have had "necklace bands" or those horizontal lines that go all the way around my neck since childhood. Now they have deepened and look worse than ever.

I have a nice slim neck, but the lines are very unattractive. I have heard both yay and nay with regards to botox for necklace lines. What's the verdict? Also, are there other treatments that would work better such as laser or peels? Please help, I am desperate to get rid of these bands!

Botox for necklace lines

+2

Botox will not help with necklace lines....in fact not much will. Where Botox is quite effetive is the vertical platysma bands that are the result of dehiscent (frayed) muscle fibers. There it will soften the harsh bands and will buy some time until corrective surgery (neck lift) can be done.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and neck bands - Los Angeles

+1

Botox can certainly work well in targetted areas of neck bands and neck cords formed by overactive platysma muscles. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/11/botox-cosmetic.aspx

Botox for Neck Rings

+1

Unfortunately, Botox is not effective in the treatment of transverse neck "rings". Fillers are probably your best bet but will be time consuming and expensive over time.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_botoxinjection.htm

Horizontal neck bands may not respond well to any treatment but Ulthera, Theramge and Botox may help

+1

Vertical neck bands may respond partially with Botox but I have not been successful to minimize horizontal neck bands with Botox although I have heard that some physicians claimed in the past that this can help.  Some, not all, patients who are undering Ultherapy have noticed improvement in the horizontal neck bands.  There have been reports of Thermage helping and even Fraxel laser, but I would be doubtful that the horizontal bands would improve much.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/ultherapy/index.html

Vertical bands are very responsive to neuromodulators such as BOTOX

+1

Vertical bands are very responsive to neuromodulators such as BOTOX, Dysport, or Xeomin.  The necklace horizontal bands can respond to some degree, but do not respond well in general.  And, all of the neck treatments with BOTOX or other neuromodulators tend to require a lot of product and therefore, are not very cost effective.  The neck is a very difficult area to treat.  Usually lasers will work best.  But, if the neck bands are very deep, it may require several treatments.  Sometimes doing an injectable filler, such as Juvederm, may be helpful (depending on the depth of the lines), but you have to be careful (even when doing lasers) to not go very deeply.

Web reference: http://www.botoxdoctorny.com/

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox and "Necklace" lines

+1

Necklace lines are not dynamic--caused by muscle movement--therefore neuromodulators are not the correct treatment. They usually are a combination of genetic factors and photodamage factors....so choose your parents more carefully next time  :)

Neuromodulators work very well for vertical lines caused by the platysma muscles.

The best improvement I have seen with necklace lines is when a patient is consistent with good corrective skin care...like Obagi Nu Derm...they consistently protect from sun exposure, and they undergo either one or two TCA chemical peels or ActiveFx/Deep Fx laser skin resurfacing.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Horizontal Neck Lines

+1

Horizontal neck lines are a rather vexing problem and aren't treated particularly well be any individual therapy.  Botox is not something I would recommnend for this particular issue.  A series of low energy fractionated CO2 laser treatments can be helpful, but will not eliminate the problem.  The same can be said for fillers.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Neck Bands

+1

These neck bands that have been there since your teenage years are not likely to be removed by Botox and it effects muscle activity. I would suggest the CO2 Fraxel Laser for this and I would not expect miracles. This is a difficult problem even to correct with surgery.

Web reference: http://www.aventuraplasticsurgery.com

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox plus filler for neck lines

+1

Botox is often used for the vertical lines (platysmal bands) in the neck, but are not very helpful for the horizontal lines.  The horizontal lines can be treated with a very small amount of filler (Restylane, Juvederm) injected directly under the lines (emphasis on small amount so the filler doesn't make matters worse).  The effect can often be enhanced by injecting Botox to relax the underlying muscles.

Tarrytown Dermatologic Surgeon

Necklace lines treatment

+1

I typically do not recommend Botox for horizontal neck lines. I have achieved great results with injecting Botox into vertical plastysmal bands, however. My recommendation for you is to seek a consultation with an experienced injector, and inquire is fillers would work well for your particular problem. Good luck!

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon