Can Botox Help with Drooping Eyelids?

My eyelids sags a little so I look a bit tired. It isn't drastic however I want to look more alive and awake. Can botox help me look more awake? And what is the cost for botox treatment in NYC?

Botox can lift the eyebrows

Lifting the eyebrows can take some of the extra skin out of the upper eyelids. Browlift with Botox can be quite pleasing, but the results a re a bit variable. Some patients get a better browlift than others. Droopiness of the upper eyelid itself (ptosis) will not be improved by Botox unless it is caused by the weight of the extra skin that a browlift can improve.

Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery, not Botox

Drooping eyelids would probably be better addressed with an eyelid lift, which is a surgical procedure.

Can Botox Help with Drooping Eyelids?

Short answer -- Botox is NOT likely to help with drooping eye-LIDs.

A droopy eye-LID can have multiple causes. If the eye-LID droop is genetic or due to other neurological or mechanical causes, then you are best served by seeing a physician who treats eyelid droop (aka ptosis) regularly -- my recommendation would be to see an Oculoplastic Surgeon in that scenario. 

A droopy eye-BROW can be treated with a Brow lift -- this can be performed by a Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon. A droopy eye-BROW can also sometimes be improved with Botox injected into the outside part of the eye (the lateral aspect of the orbicularis oculi muscle) to generate a bit of a brow lift in that area -- this is obviously a short-term solution.  Botox is less effective in treating a droopy eye-LID because the eye-BROW elevation from the Botox does not significantly improve they eye-LID droop...

Be sure to seek the services of an experienced physician injector. I think the key with Botox lies in truly understanding the anatomy of the injected area, and more importantly the variability in the anatomy between patients -- for brows, the forehead, and anywhere else you plan on receiving a Botox injection. This includes having a firm understanding of the origin, insertion, and action of each muscle that will be injected, the thickness of each muscle targeted, and the patient variability therein. As an aesthetic-trained plastic surgeon, I am intrinsically biased since I operate in the area for browlifts and facelifts, and have a unique perspective to the muscle anatomy since I commonly dissect under the skin and see the actual muscles themselves. For me, this helps guide where to inject and where not to. However, with that said, I know many Dermatologists who know the anatomy well despite not operating in that area, and get great results.

Good luck.

Dr Markarian

Good luck.

Botox for Droopy Eyelids

Botox helps reduce wrinkles by relaxing facial muscles. Droopy eyelids may be due to excess or sagging skin, muscle, or fat. An eyelid lift or brow lift is the more common approach used by cosmetic surgeons to help treat droopy eyelids. Typically, Botox does not help with droopy eyelids. Botox has been used, however, to help raise the eyebrow a bit. Results are more subtle and temporary as compared to surgical facial procedures. However, Botox might improve your appearance to make you appear more awake and less tired. 

Speak with a plastic surgeon or dermatology specialist to help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for droopy eyelids

Injecting the Botox into the muscles that pull the eyebrows down can give  a very mild lift to the eyelid skin itself. Its greater effect is in lifting the eyebrow higher, in doing that, the eyelid skin might be less droopy, but not a dramatic change.Also, if you inject the muscles that depress the brow in order to lift them, there will be some more visible wrinkling of the forehead as those muscles will now work unopposed.

Julio Garcia, MD

Botox and appearance around the eyelids.

I highly recommend that a patient try Botox for the crow's feet and the lateral temple area.  If you get acceptable improvement, no surgery needed.  If you desire more correction, see a plastic surgeon for a brow lift/ Blepharoplasty consultation.  Also, after surgery, many people still need the benefits of Botox for fine line wrinkling management.

H. Michael Roark, MD

Botox Plus Volumizing Fillers Work Well For Droopy Lids and Brows

Age-related loss in fat in and around the eyebrows, as well as photoaging-related losses in the quality and quantity of collagen and elastic fibers can lead to drooping, saggy brows and overhanging false eyelids (brow skin that hangs over the real upper eyelid below).  Botox, as well as Dysport and Xeomin (two other neuromodulators) when placed in tiny droplets under various areas of the eyebrows (differing places for men and women) can contribute to a slight lift of the brow that can help diminish sagging and droopiness.

The addition of a volumizing filler, such as Juvederm Ultra XC, into specific regions of the eyebrows (men and women differ on where they may need volume resoration and recontouring) and of the adjacent temple region, can futher enhance the lifting effect of the Botox and also contribute to a much longer-lasting result. The wonderful fact is that the entire treatment can be done in about ten or fifteen minutes.

Treating this region requires both medical expertise with the materials and an experienced esthetic eye. For this reason, you should consult with an injector that has done many of these procedures. Prices will vary according to the amounts of each material needed to achieve the desired results, but since small amounts are generally required, particularly of Botox, treatment usually fits most people's budgets and is quite gratifying. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Botox

If your eyebrows are droopy and your upper eyelids are saggy because of droopiness of your eyebrows you may look tired or aged.  In that case botox can elevate your eyebrows and the excess skin covering your lashes would be reduced to the point that the crease of the upper eyelids become more visible. The price of botox varies from state to state and cities to cities.  It should not cost more than $15.00 per unit.  You need to have at least 16 to 20 units of botox to achieve elevation of the eyebrows.  I hope this is helpful to you.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Botox brow lift

With proper use by an expert injector, botox can raise the eyebrows and elevate the sagging skin over the eyelids. This gives a more awake look.  If your lid (as opposed to you brow) is droopy, it would be wise to seek the opinion of an Ophthalmologist. 

Elizabeth Piantanida, MD
Colorado Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox can help with drooping eyelids

When properly done, Botox can help drooping eyelids by doing what's known as an eyebrow lift. Treating both the glabellar region as well as the lateral part of the eyebrow will cause a slight elevation of the eyebrow known as an eyebrow lift. This will create an aesthetically pleasing arch in the eyebrow which can also help to make any excess skin in the upper eyelid become less apparent. An average treatment uses 20 to 24 units of Botox in the forehead and 2 units under the lateral aspects of each eyebrow making a total of 24 to 28 units for this treatment. Practicing in Vermont, I charge $10/unit ($240 to $280 total) which is significantly less than the pricing in NYC which can be as high as $25/unit.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon