Botox to Correct Wrinkled Eyelid?

I am 47 and am getting a vertical wrinkle in my eyelids (from the brow area to lid). Is botox an appropriate corrective measure for this or is surgery required to correct?

Botox for Eyelids

+1

The area you described generally does not  respond well to Botox injection. It may actually cause drooping of the eyebrows or eyelids.

BOTOX is a muscle relaxer

+1

BOTOX is a muscle relaxer. To the extent that any wrinkles around the eyelids are enhanced by closing or opening your eyes or squeezing your eyelids closed, BOTOX will help to soften those lines. And often, even vertical wrinkles will be softened by relaxing the muscle.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Minimize lid wrinkles with lasers

+1

Injecting Botox into the eyelid may cause lid droop, or ptosis -- a better method to instill skin tightening and minimize wrinkles involves the use of lasers.  Laser resurfacing in the upper eyelid area (either fractionated or fully ablative) can dramatically improve / minimize wrinkles.  I have had a good deal of success in tightening the upper and lower lid areas with the use of a combination ablative / fractionated laser (depending upon skin type)  -- to the extent that the need for surgery is obviated in many cases.  

Vish Banthia, MD

Botox CANNOT correct Eyelid Wrinkles

+1

Botox works by weakening / paralyzing the muscles it is placed in. By carefully placing Botox in muscles whose sole function is creating facial expressions, we can "keep the good and take out the bad", removing frowning, lifting brows, opening angry tired eyes etc.

Putting Botox into the leads will weaken the muscles which lift the eyelid open giving you a closed eye, zombie-meets-stroke look. Not something anyone would want to willingly create in a patient.

Your best option is to have a laser peel - I prefer the Sciton Joule. It is an Erbium based platform that can match and outdo any machine in the world. It will smooth such wrinkles.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Botox in eyelid

+1

I echo the comments of others.  In general Botox should not be used within the lid area unless for specific indications like eyelid spasm (blepharospasm).  The muscles in the eyelid itself are needed for opening the eye and botox injections can easily weaken them leading to a droopy lid.

Daniel Berg, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for vertical eyelid wrinkles.Botox en arrugas verticales de párpado

+1

I  not recommend Botox in this area because is next the levator muscle of upper eyelid and could produce a ptosis.

No recomiendo Botox en esa área porque es cercana al músculo elevador del párpado superior y se podría producir una ptosis. 

Enrique Pedro Gagliardi, MD, PhD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Wrinkle of lid to brow

+1

If you are complaining of veritical lines in the glabella, you can have those treated with Botox, but if in upper eyelid, I would not recommend it.

Botox is not for the upper eyelid eyebrow region

+1

If your vertical crease is extending from the eyelash part of the eyelid, or slightly higher, upwards to the eyebrow, then you probably will not obtain benefit from Botox injections at the crow's feet (outer eyelid) and Botox can cause a significant drop of the upper eyelid if injected in the area of your vertical crease! This drop can last more than three months.  See a board-certified dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or oculoplastic surgeon for a consultation to determine what other treatments may help.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Total FX is a good option for eyelid laxity

+1

The type of crease you describe is more likely due to a depletion of collagen and elastin rather than chronic muscle movements.  Neither Botox nor surgery will build collagen, and the location of your crease is not suitable for filler, so I recommend fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing with Total FX. 

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for Eyelid Wrinkles

+1

As an Oculoplastic Surgeon I can tell you that I have safely injected Botox into the eyelids for years, however, it will not  help the problem you describe. Botox can be injected into the eyelids for a medical condition known as Blepharospasm.

Vertical lines in the eyelids can be caused by a drooping brow , excess upper eyelid skin or poor elasticity of the eyelid skin. The treatment is different for each of these conditions so you are best advised to consult with an Oculoplastic Surgeon.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon